Author Topic: PMM 3.92 "Error retrieving DMS drive ID" on replacement DMS disk  (Read 9670 times)

Offline jlv

• A few posts under my belt.
This has been discussed in the PMM forum, but there doesn't seem to be a resolution there.

It appears that 3.92 reads the hard disk vendor model and checks it for a 'valid' value.  My original DMS drive has the string "PhatNoise_DMS_200.01" (you can see this in 'device manager', or even if you right click on any drive, select properties, and click the 'hardware' tab).

I used SysInternals 'procmon' to trace file and registry access of pmm.exe as it starts up, and just before it displays the error popup about the drive ID, it scanned the registry looking for the drive IDS of my PHTSYS and PHTDTA partitions under:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

With my replacement drive (a 120G Samsung), of course it doesn't find this model string, and immediately tosses the 'Error retrieving DMS drive ID'.

Does anyone have 3.92 working with a 'replacement' drive?  If so, what does your system show for the drive ID?  I wonder if older drives didn't have a custom vendor string, so maybe they allow some certain vendor strings, but not others.

Offline chico

• PhatHacker
Re: PMM 3.92 "Error retrieving DMS drive ID" on replacement DMS disk
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:42:06 am »
I can't help you, but I seem to be having the same problem. If anyone can help out with this, I'm sure more people would benefit as well.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:31:42 am »
Can you show me the entry for a working drive, and a non-working drive?

Offline jlv

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:53:16 pm »
Do you mean the entry in the registry?  I can tonight.

Meanwhile, I reinstalled 3.76 and find that will work with the new drive without an issue.  It's making the same registry fetches.  I still have to check if the list of matching IDs inside DeviceDMS.dll is the same in 3.76 and 3.92.

Offline zoltar

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:41:44 pm »
I just got my 120GB Samsung (SAMSUNG HM121HC) working today and I Use PMM 3.92. 

The only issue I have right now is that when I insert the drive into the cradle it takes 5-6 minutes for the system to detect the DATA partition.
The SYS one is instantly there, but while I have to wait for the DATA one my computer is kinda frozen. Once both partitions are there my computer is back again.
Tested in my standard XP environment, under XP in VMWARE, same thing. Old 10GB drive had no similar problem.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:21 pm »
Try disabling autoplay for that drive

Offline zoltar

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:05:16 pm »
I had disabled autoplay on all drives/media. Still.
No idea why it does it to certain hard drives. I will take out my laptop's HDD and try that one.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:09:44 am »
Do you have some strange antivirus program by chance?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:23:16 am »
Do you have some strange antivirus program by chance?

Sam, I'm not answering for Zoltar, but I have the exact same problem (discussed in another thread http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1106.0.html) and tried on three different systems, including at least once with a clean XP installs and no other software except PMM 3.92.  I am convinced that as a general issue, this is not related to antivirus software or any other software conflict.

All we can tell from the various threads and posts is that the issue seems to have prevalence amongst users with Samsung drives.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline chico

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »

Offline zoltar

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:41:09 pm »
Tested with my WD drive from my laptop and it works fine. Gotta be some Samsung thingy.
Oh well, 4-5 minutes of freezing is a small price for 120GB.
Besides, i'm still using a 1.1 USB cradle and transfering 40GB takes some time.
Might be the USB1.1 ans Samsung combo problem.

Offline jlv

Found a hack to eliminate this problem!!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 12:47:40 am »
I finally came up with a hack to eliminate the "Error retrieving DMS drive ID" problem!  8)

I moved this solution to it's own thread here => http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1581.0.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:20:56 pm by jlv »