Author Topic: Looking to replace Monsoon Casette radio with MP3 cd player radio  (Read 21587 times)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Looking to replace Monsoon Casette radio with MP3 cd player radio
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 02:54:22 pm »
That is the right cable.  The connector on the left in the picture should plug into your Phatbox, and the connector on the right into your Kenwood stereo.  You should not have to do any splicing to get this to work.

Yet, you wrote that "it will NOT fit" your Phatbox.  Do you mean the cable will not reach your Phatbox, or there is no matching connector to plug into in the back of the box?  If it is the latter, can you show us a picture of the back of your Phatbox?
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:47 pm »
I don't know what a KHD-5L1 cable should look like.

I posted a picture right above that showing you the ends of the correct cable which is identical to the image that you posted.  Were you unable to view the image from my post for some reason?

That cable WILL work with a Kenwood HU and any type of PhatBox, it is the correct connector for the back...  perhaps the back of your phatbox has been damaged somehow?  In any case, a picture of that will tell us if you have some strange problem.... otherwise a better description of what your malfunction is would be good.  mark's reply pretty much covered it, I just wanted to figure out why you couldn't see the image I posted for you of the ends of the cable.

I also have to wonder why you were posting images of the other Monsoon connectors... those are completely and utterly irrelevant, and cannot be used in any fashion.

Offline Pal369

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: FS: New VW, AUDI, BMW Cables $20 ea, also brand new system
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 09:38:13 am »
Good Morning Yes I would be interested, the big question: will it fir my Phatnoise player. I will attach a picture of the cable with plugs that are in the car now. 

Thank you

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »
YOU CANNOT RE-USE THE OLD CABLE THAT WAS CONNECTED TO YOUR PHATBOX.

You MUST run a new cable ALL THE WAY from the phatbox to the kenwood head unit.

The pins used on the phatbox are not the same across different firmware.

Offline Pal369

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 12:33:52 am »
OK, I can do that, but I still need a cable that will fit both the Kenwood Radio and my Phatnoise player. The KHD-5L1 cable which was recommended will fit the radio but not the Phatnoise player. Is there a cable available?

Thank you

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 01:20:25 am »
Send us a picture of your 'phatnoise player' please.  The cable you posted is the cable that fits the PhatBox. -- we should take this discussion back to your original thread.

Offline Pal369

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 02:42:05 am »
OK, hope something is available, a picture if the cable that is from my phatnoise player is a few post up.

Thank you again.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 05:09:15 am »
The issue isn't the cable here, but your player.  We need to see the player socket that the cable plugs into because the KHD-5L1 cable is absolutely the correct cable for connecting to a PhatBox.

It's possible you've got a modified box (not sure how) or perhaps a really early version of one that had different connectors....*shrug*

So please post a picture of your PhatBox showing the point at which the cable attaches.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 09:14:27 am »
I don't think you quite understand, you need to REMOVE that cable fro your PhatBox and attach the NEW cable.  There is no cable coming from the phatbox that you can use, if you cannot do that we need a picture of the back of your PhatBox with NO cables attached that have any way of being removed so we can figure out what you're talking about.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 09:29:59 am »
Maybe this image will help you.  The connection labeled "HEADUNIT" is where the cable plugs in.  If your box doesn't look like that, send us a picture of your phatbox from the same angle.  Disregard the DB9 serial connection, that's my addition.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:58 am »
Oh hey, THAT'S where that screw was supposed to go! lol

Offline Pal369

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »
Thank you, I feel like a fool, I never bothered to take the unit out of the car to check it out. Just removed to take a picture and I see there is a cable plugged in to the socket and that socket will fit the KHD-5L1 cable.

Thank you again to everyone for you help, support and suggestions.