Author Topic: PhatHack DMS Tools v2.14 - 16th April 2010  (Read 25544 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
PhatHack DMS Tools v2.14 - 16th April 2010
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:28:50 am »

Announcing the updated PhatHack DMS Tools for Windows!

Last version?  Seems not, so whilst I've been patching things up for one or two users, here's an update for everyone!

A big thank you goes out to Bjørn (bjorna) and his long-suffering wife for his patience whilst helping to resolve problems with his two PhatBoxes not functioning...and testing the DMS Tools that seemed to not function entirely flawlessly on Parallels.  His investigatory work, helped supply lots of information and more importantly help resolve issues for PhatMac users where PhatMac didn't recognise that AAC support was enabled through the DMS Tools through our workaround to the official plugin.

I want to also extend a big thank you to T5-Power for his patience whilst I held on to his Kenwood Keg in order to resolve issues with the previous version of the tools - which proved invaluable to my understanding of how the box works/starts up!

As a reminder, the tools are (excluding Hack Files, DMS Disk Signature Backup and Formatting Code) entirely sourced from my own code and I'll updated the code in the SVN in due course.  The tools are a standalone application with an easy to use GUI and a little bit of documentation on the side.  

I offer general support myself for the application (bug fixing etc) for anyone that runs into problems with the tools....so please let me know if you have any problems/concerns running them!

Feel free to PM/e-mail directly if you encounter any problems with these tools and I'll do my best to provide solutions where possible.

Check out the documentation for some work-arounds to some of the things that have, and may, crop up again.

Vista/Windows 7 Known Issue

There is a known issue with Windows Vista/7 where the DMS tools may fail at the 'Formatting' stage of the 'Create New DMS' or repair processes.
After much investigation, we've established this is down to Vista/Windows 7 'locking' the file system.  We have no idea what this means, or why this happens... but it does seem that a reboot and running the DMS tools straight after reboot gets round this problem.  (DO NOT launch any other processes, particularly explorer).

Last Version?

I've given up stating this might be the last version while I concentrate on getting integration working into PhatHack Media Manager....! ;)

The Downloads

PhatHack DMS Tools v2.14

Documentation Alternative Link
(Documentation on using the tools for v2.10 and above - will update as soon as I have time)

Requirements

Check out the documentation for PC requirements.  To be able to run the tools you must have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed, which is available from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Latest fixes

Version 2.14

• Added 'Install Plugins' feature (DMS Tools Mode)
  • Added 'Enable PhatMac Compatibility' feature (DMS Tools Mode, when 'Install AAC' option is checked)
  • Fixed 'Create New DMS' failing to launch format process on some machines

Version 2.13

• Fixed pre-partitioned disks not being recognised in DMS Tools mode
  • Fixed bad/corrupt/unknown volume on disks not allowing disks to be recognised in DMS Tools mode
  • Fixed incompatibility with PhatHack Media Manager (requires PhatHack Media Manager update)
  • Added stub launcher, to run DMS tools with elevated permissions (Vista/Windows 7)
  • Added 'Boot Check' process, to create/verify contents of bootload.log file to establish cause of boxes that fail to boot
  • Added 'RC Logs', options to install RC pairs to the DMS.  (Note: Default=No logging)

Version 2.12

• Reverts to playlist style hack
  • Added AAC plugin workaround
  • Added Repair DMS(PHTSYS) function (formats and loads firmware to PHTSYS)
  • Added Repair DMS(FULL) function (formats PHTSYS, PHTDTA and loads firmware)
  • Fixed New DMS process (or repair DMS FULL) to create single playlist, plus SSA data files

Version 2.11

• Never publicly released.

Version 2.10

• Added 'Install non-hacked firmware' option for use with original DMS/PhatBox combinations.

Version 2.9

• Fixed firmware download issues.
  • Fixed error when using 'Update firmware'.

Version 2.8

• Added firmware selection to log (for replication purposes).

Version 2.7

• Modified location of firmware definition file 'am.xml'.
  • Fixed GUI not showing successful DMS creation/firmware update.

Version 2.6

• Added automatic device ejection on successful patch application.
  • Added 'Flash PhatBox with Firmware' option to enable firmware switching. (Experimental, may cause your PhatBox to stop working - recoverable)
  • Added 'Update Firmware' button to perform firmware updates only. (Unproven, and may cause your PhatBox to stop working - recoverable)
  • Added 'Install VIOT' option to install Kenwood SSA. (This installs and works fine, if your data files are good that is!)
  • Fixed error when no firmware available for loading.
  • Added backup URL for Firmware XML files.

Version 2.5

• Fixed issues caused by WMI returning device entries with no signature information

Version 2.4

• Fixed issues caused by WMI reporting invalid partition records
  • Now generates CurrentSetup.xml.  PhatNoise Media Manager may now work with your DMS!
  • Fixed formatting issue for firmware details

Thanks

Many thanks to all the testers who have perservered, re-running the tools where required and providing me with invaluable information!  
Thanks also to ButchHandy for the basis of the documentation for the Windows Vista workarounds for the dd backup...!

Everyone that has provided feedback should be appropriately credit as per the screenshot above.  If you are not shown, and you provided feedback, let me know and I'll put you on the list! :)

Let the bug reporting begin!

[Ignore this stuff here, just a bunch of tags for searching purposes]
Create New DMS, DMS Hack, Create DMS, Update, Firmware, Tools, Windows, Hack, PMM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:50:58 pm by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline fevier

Re: PhatHack DMS Tools v2.14 - 16th April 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »

I cannot download DMSTOOLS V.2.14 using your link, here is what I get:

Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found

Showing related results for: http://phatnoise.us/.PNSecure/.Apps/DMSTools_v2_14.zip

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:51:27 pm »
Thanks for reporting this.  The link should now be up and running again!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sage710

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:51:20 pm »
What is the "RC Log" tab? What does it do? Thanks.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:10:13 am »
It allows you to install the RC pairs which provides detailed logging (Verbose), or remove the logging (Default).

Offline sage710

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:15 am »
What does the RC stand for? Also would that help tell me what might be wrong with my system? Thanks.

Offline stefhelm

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:33:23 am »
Thanks a bunch for this!  Bought a used phatbox for my VW and couldn't get any firmware updates to work for the life of me, but this did it in no time at all, so cheers!