Author Topic: Help: VW Phatnoise in Mazda 3  (Read 23677 times)

Offline crane007

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Mazda 3 Phathacker
Re: Help: VW Phatnoise in Mazda 3
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 07:06:19 pm »
I think there is a way to hack the phatbox so it announces the track name, I would never want this because I would find it very annoying.

crane007

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 08:09:55 pm »
My VW box flashed to Kenwood does display text so if the Mazda head unit displays CD text you might stand a chance.

As far as the current track voice prompts go

Have you altered your PC registry so that PMM creates the current track voice prompts (does not do this by default).

Also have you altered the Phatbox ini file so that it plays them (again does not do this by default).

Sorry had to ask the last 2 but one guy was complaining and did not know you had to press scan .

Do you here anything when you press scan if so you should be able to configure it.

Offline arexsvn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 08:24:19 pm »
I just put a VW Phatbox in a 2004 RX-8. It announces all songs artists genres albums on command. You hit the Scan button, then keep hitting scan until you get to the mode of interest, then track forward/back takes you through the selections of that chosen mode. Sounds harder than it really is.

There is no display on the Mazda head unit, other than some numbers for "CD" number, track number and elapsed play time.

My radio has a "text scroll" twist knob that does nothing when I spin it during PhatNoise play.

You will have to build the speech names in PhatNoise Music Manager first (I had to) before they are there to be voiced in the car for you.

Offline timps

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 08:51:16 pm »
Just answered it a bit more in depth Here (http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1129097459/5#5)  when you press scan it should play the voice you set it to.

Offline zero cool

• PhatHacker
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 01:56:04 pm »
Thank you everyone. this is exactly what i was looking for.

Zc

Offline zero cool

• PhatHacker
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2006, 01:07:35 am »
OK< please excuse the newbie here BUT. i just bought a brand new AUDI phatbox and i have the Mazda files downloaded and extracted and ready to go.

Can somebody email me a detailed, step by step process on how to convert an Audi PB to a Mazda box.

It appears to be simple enough. Do i just copy the files over? and what is this about creating forceupdate files etc and skipping the box ID files etc. I dont want to mess this up. Please give us a simple:

Step 1 Do this,

Step 2 Do that,

Step 3 do the other

CAUTION don't do this and this

Type format.

Thanks

Zc
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:27:56 am by zero_cool »

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 12:22:50 pm »
Converting a VW phatbox to a Mazda Phatbox

1) Follow the instructions that came with your phatbox to connect the cradle to your computer (and install the PMM software)

2) Download the firmware files
http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/MZPHATSYS.zip
http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/MazdaUpdate.zip (Only needed if you have a 2006+ Mazda 3)

3) Insert the DMS into the USB cradle
    - This will mount the DMS as 2 driver letters on your computer (ex:  e:\PHATSYS f:\PHATDATA)

4) Unzip the contents of MZPHATSYS.zip to e:\PHATSYS
    Unzip the contentes of MazdaUpdate.zip to e:\PHATSYS (only do this if you have a 2006+ Mazda 3)

5) Eject the DMS from the USB cradle

6) Insert the DMS into the Phatbox (firmware will flash from the DMS to the phatbox)
    - This can take up to 5 minutes

7) Done

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 06:40:51 pm »
Converting a VW phatbox to a Mazda Phatbox
3) Insert the DMS into the USB cradle
    - This will mount the DMS as 2 driver letters on your computer (ex:  e:\PHATSYS f:\PHATDATA)

4) Unzip the contents of MZPHATSYS.zip to e:\PHATSYS
    Unzip the contentes of MazdaUpdate.zip to e:\PHATSYS (only do this if you have a 2006+ Mazda 3)

To clarify the E:\PHTSYS and F:\PHTDTA there will not be subdirectories, he is referring to the volume labels of two logical drives.  Extract to the root of E:\ if E is labeled "PHTSYS"

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 07:02:49 pm »
sbinger,

Yep, your right, I was refering to the Disk lable (e: has a disk lable of PHATSYS)

crane007

Offline zero cool

• PhatHacker
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:09:16 pm »
THANK YOU sbinger & crane007!!!

Now i had previously understood the unzipping and the drive lables etc.

What had me unsure was the mention of not copying the box ID files and creating Forced files. I could not find any mention of how to create these files, or where the Box ID files would be?

From judb:

I see what you are saying now.

Just copy the whole phtsys root directory [size=11]except the box_id files and create the forceupdate and forcesettings files[/size][/b] and insert your DMS into the phatbox.

On my DMS I could not find any ID Files. But in the http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/MZPHATSYS.zip I did find box ID files. Am i not supposed to copy those over to the DMS???

I was curious, so i used the PMM to upgrade the firmware on my DMS cartridge, The PMM went out to the web and checked and found a upgrade was available. so i i went ahead and performed the upgrade to the DMS Only, i did not put the DMS In the PB yet. I just wanted to see what files were created in this process. and i see a forcedupdate file was created and i see that in the http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/MZPHATSYS.zip there is the same forcedupdate file. But i do not see one labeled "focesettings". Do i need to create this file? and if so, HOW do i create the file?

Again thank you so much for your help. sbinger & crane007 PM me and i will paypal you some $$ for a few beverages! And if you own a Mazda3 Mazda6 or RX-8 then definitly contact me off list. I am in development of what you want!

Z.C
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:11:49 pm by zero_cool »

Offline arexsvn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 02:20:33 pm »
Zero Cool:
I just did similar to the instructions above for my 2004 Mazda RX-8. I even did the update files that were for 2006 vehicles with no ill effect.

You need to have forceupdate (a file iwth no extension such as .txt) and forcesetting I think, too. I did both. I made each as a new blank .txt file and then erased the file extension. These go into the root Phatsys directory.

If it's true that you can now get a Mazda update from PhatNoise via their download process, that is great. Use that method, since it will in effect do what we are saying to do manually. The forceupdate file will show up as part of the update from PhatNoise.

I have run forceupdate/forcesettings a number of times with no harm to the player. You are just re-imposing the firmware settings. The box blinks for about 5 minutes and then you're good to go.

Offline zero cool

• PhatHacker
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 10:53:09 pm »
Excellent! Thank you for the info. I am missing th forcesettings file. i will make one with the method you have suggested.

The only information i need now is the bit about the box ID files???

There was a blurb about not copying Box ID files? But i dont understand WHAT box id files? My DMS does not have these files, or any files labeled anything close to box ID.

I see that the MZPHATSYS.zip has 2 files labled box_id_log.txt and box_id_mru.txt

Are these the files in question? After i unzip the MZPHATSYS.zip file to the DMS, do i then go and delete these? Is my DMS supposed to have Box ID files already on it or something?

Looks like this is the last bit of fact checking i need.

Zc

Offline arexsvn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 02:38:45 am »
I vaguely remember what you said about deleting box ID tags. I believe that this is an artifact of using the files (when downloaded from PhatHack) from *another* PhatBox other than your own. Thus you would delete them if using the PhatHack ones. If you can indeed do an update via PhatNoise Media Manager to reprogram Audi to Mazda, it may keep the correct box ID tags. What I would do:

1. Assume PhatHack files are the origin
2. Copy the box ID files to your hard drive somewhere for safety
3. Do as instructed to overwrite the file on your DMS
4. Make the forcesettings and forceupdate files on the DMS
5. Delete the box ID stuff
6. Put the DMS in your car and wait until all flashing lights are done
7. See what you got

If this does not work, copy the box ID tags onto PhatSys and re-make the forcesettings/forceupdate ones. I believe the forcesettings/etc files are deleted upon completion of update to PhatBox in the car.

The easier better way is if you CAN get a Mazda update from PhatNoise Music Manager. Then you would:
1. Put your DMS into the internet-connected PC with PMM
2. Update your DMS to be a Mazda type.
3. Shove the DMS into your car PhatBox.

I used the second method when I flashed an Audi PhatNoise Player to think it was a Kenwood Music Keg. Worked like a charm!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 11:52:01 pm »
Don't worry about them, it just tells PMM what PhatBox the DMS has been inserted into... for the purposes of plugin installation etc

Excellent! Thank you for the info. I am missing th forcesettings file. i will make one with the method you have suggested.

The only information i need now is the bit about the box ID files???

There was a blurb about not copying Box ID files? But i dont understand WHAT box id files? My DMS does not have these files, or any files labeled anything close to box ID.

I see that the MZPHATSYS.zip has 2 files labled box_id_log.txt and box_id_mru.txt

Are these the files in question? After i unzip the MZPHATSYS.zip file to the DMS, do i then go and delete these? Is my DMS supposed to have Box ID files already on it or something?

Looks like this is the last bit of fact checking i need.

Zc

Offline zero cool

• PhatHacker
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 11:56:43 pm »
EXCELLENT! Thank you! i will give it a shot.

Zc

Offline zero cool

• PhatHacker
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2006, 01:20:04 am »
[size=36]WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!![/size] [size=12] It works![/size]

Ok so i did just like the instructions said to do.

1 - I Inserted my DMS Into the cradel.

2- I extracted the MZPHATSYS.zip to the PHTSYS Partition and Selected YES to all when it asked me if i    wanted to overwrite the files.

3- I then created a blank text file on the PHTSYS Partition and labeled it "Forcesettings" and then renamed the forcesettings.txt file deleting the the .txt extention so that it was just named "forcesettings" without an extention or the dot.

4- I then unzipped the Mazdaupdate zip to the same PHTSYS Partition and again selected YES when it asked me if i wanted to overwrite the files.

5- I then opened the PMM and selected the DMS and pressed GO and it found the DMS, i then salected Save and Eject (this step may have been unnecissary)

6- I then ejected the DMS and put it in my Phatbox.

7- I plugged the PB into the car stereo and right away the red light came on and the green light started flashing even without turning the Key to on.

8- I waited and watched the green light flash, it took about 3 minutes i guess. then all the lights went off and the red light came back on. It must have been rebooting itself. I pressed CD Twice on my radio to get to the external setting and right away i heard the Welcome Prompt!

So this is VERY easy to do! Stupid silly easy in fact!

It took me a while to learn how to navigate through the menus, the voice prompts worked great. and i found my music and wahooO!

Thank you thank you thank you everyone!

Zc
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:32:13 am by zero_cool »

Offline Number6

• PhatHacker
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 06:31:11 pm »
Just curious...

For those of you who have installed the VW PB into the Mazda, how did you end up physically mounting the unit?

From the looks of it, the VB box has a much larger case than the Mazda one.  I saw Crane007 saying he'd install it in the glove box.  Is this where it's meant to be mounted if you got a real Mazda version?  

Also, Is the cable supplied by the Mazda install kit long enough to reach the trunk?  I'd love to be able to save the glove box space if possible... it's not like I'd be moving  the DMS cartridge on a regular basis.

Thanks to all!

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 06:46:56 pm »
Number 6,

I actually had to cut the sides off the VW phatbox to make it fit in the glove box properly.
The Mazda3 phatbox is suppose to be mounted in the glove box, BUT you can buy the Mazda6 phatbox cable and mount it in the trunk.

Take a look at this tread from the Mazda3forums
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=41891.0

crane007

Offline arexsvn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 07:38:14 pm »
Answering below in order:
I mounted my VW Phatbox in the trunk of my 2004 RX-8. I bought some $20 L-brackets from eBay that were meant to mount the box properly into a VW car. I drilled four holes in the bottom face of the trunk package shelf and oriented the unit similar to the Mazda instructions listed for the OEM Mazda version Phatbox.

The real Mazda (RX-8) version was meant to be in the trunk mounted to the rear package shelf as mentioned above.

The cable was very long and easily ran to the trunk with some to spare. I don't know how the cable differs from a Mazda3 or Mazda6.

Just curious...

For those of you who have installed the VW PB into the Mazda, how did you end up physically mounting the unit?

From the looks of it, the VB box has a much larger case than the Mazda one.  I saw Crane007 saying he'd install it in the glove box.  Is this where it's meant to be mounted if you got a real Mazda version?  

Also, Is the cable supplied by the Mazda install kit long enough to reach the trunk?  I'd love to be able to save the glove box space if possible... it's not like I'd be moving  the DMS cartridge on a regular basis.

Thanks to all!

Offline Number6

• PhatHacker
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 06:27:27 am »
Thanks for the quick replies.

I plan on mounting it in my Speed6, which I assume will be the same as the regular 6.  I'm happy to hear that I can run it all the way to my trunk.

Anyway, thanks again.