Author Topic: Kenwood Keg with CAS-001-AU-15 connector?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline WAwatchnut

Kenwood Keg with CAS-001-AU-15 connector?
« on: February 02, 2007, 06:52:02 am »
Hi everyone -

I've searched for this information, but I can't find this exactly.  I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

I have a Kenwood Keg (KHD710), hooking up to a Kenwood head unit.  Easy enough... except... no cable!  There's an adaptor for the Phatbox to VW - part number CAS-001-AU-15.  This is the Centrex to 15 pin DIN female connector.  Does anyone know if I could use that adaptor, combined with the 15 pin Kenwood DIN CD changer cable, to connect the Keg to a Kenwood head unit? 

I'm assuming I could use it somehow - by adapting the plug configuration - but would it work without re-wiring?  If I have to rewire, I should be able to map it out from the pinouts provided on the site, but I didn't see anything specific to this adaptor.

Thanks for any help!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Kenwood Keg with CAS-001-AU-15 connector?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »
are you saying you don't have the kenwood cd changer to music keg cable?  Have you tried looking at pacparts for the spares?  they have had them in stock previously...  or you could take a normal kenwood cd changer cable and one of the vw phatbox cables and splice them together.. there should be wiring diagrams on phathack.com somewhere.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:37:33 pm »
The VW cable is entirely useless to you, you cannot splice it because it uses different pins on the PhatBox side.   If you don't have a Kenwood cable, you'll have to fabricate one or buy one.  Look at http://www.phathack.com/?page=pinouts for some info on how to order a replacement cable, or fabricate a new one.  You could also check the buying/selling forum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:40:20 pm by sbingner »

Offline WAwatchnut

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:44:04 pm »
Thanks guys - That's the confirmation I was looking for.  Since I had the other parts, I thought it was worth a try.

I just thought it was a weird coincidence that there was this Centrex to 15 pin DIN adaptor... and that Kenwood just happens to use the 15 pin DIN on their Changer cable.

But I did find a Kenwood - Kenwood cable over on the buy/sell forum. 

Now I just have to wait for the car to arrive!   :)   Ordering a car from the factory is a new and dangerous experience... to many opportunities to spend money on accessories before the car arrives!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:25:05 am »
The insides are functionally the same... the only problem is in the cable, they don't have wires running to the pins you need to be using for Kenwood... you could probably take that cable apart and re-solder it on the centrex side,,, but that would be more trouble than it's worth