Author Topic: How to update firmware?  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Glyn

• PhatHacker
How to update firmware?
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:20:32 pm »
Hi there,

I have just installed a Phatbox in my Audi S8 but was wondering how to update the firmware?

If I insert the DMS and select Tools/Options/DMS/Firmware & Plugins it tells me my surrent setup is;

Volkswagen/Audi Brand Stereos, Version 5.01

If I select Update DMS Firmware the wizard opens.

When I click Next the window shows no items loaded and the Next button is ghosted so I am unable to proceed further.

If I click the button below Refresh the Head Unit list titled Check for Updates from the Phatnoise website nothing happens.

If I click Advanced another window opens asking me to select my product but there are no items loaded.

Is it even possible?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline abduln

Re: How to update firmware?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:42:58 am »
Hi, you are doing it right, the problem seems to be that the xml data that PMM is attempting to download is no longer available on the Phatnoise site.

I was just attempting to update myself and had the exact same problem as you, so I sniffed the traffic and found that PMM was receiving an error to it's request to get the data. Unfortunately for you your firmware is fairly old so you definitely want an update.

I just submitted a letter through PhatNoise's problem reporting tool. I hope they respond with a fix. There are some supposed ways to manually update your Firmware, but it's not supported and I have not tried it myself. I only learned a little about it via a site for people who want to use PhatBox with Linux instead of Windows.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Offline abduln

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:49:38 am »
Oy! Speak of the devil... I was poking around this site a little just after I responded to you and I found that another user here has posted a link for firmware updates that you can manually install. The files are hosted by this site....

http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/

This is my first time to this site it was news to me. Hope that helps.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:21:35 am »
Yes, phatnoise has lately been getting worse and worse about actually having their server online.  The reasons for this are beyond my grasp.  abduln's info should help you

Offline GIDIOT

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:08:31 pm »
I have an Audi phatbox also and have the exact problem.
I tried updating the firmware using the updates from this site and to no avail. My problem still exists.

Does anyone have any ideas? :-\

Offline GIDIOT

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 04:55:32 pm »
The server came back up and I'm working now