Author Topic: PRoblems with my 10GB DMS  (Read 6332 times)

Offline pugdevil

PRoblems with my 10GB DMS
« on: February 01, 2007, 01:13:55 am »
Hi

a few days ago my dms stops working. it just played 1 track.... by selecting any other track my headunti (kenwood) said reading first, then eject.

the database doc and other utils that came with the phatnoise software worked fine and said my dms is working correctly.

then i startet to wipe the dms and i became some erros (folder not empty amm). i've erased all files manually with the winexplorer.
now i can't load any firmware on the dms and the "check for updates" function in the phatnoise software (music manager 2.3) doesn't work.

What can i do to get my dms working again?

hope you could read and understand my problem.... my english isn't the best.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: PRoblems with my 10GB DMS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:01:28 am »
You can manually reload your firmware by following the directions at http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware

Offline snoggle

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 2004 Impala LS + KHD-CX910
Re: Problems with my 10GB DMS
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 05:36:59 am »
"A few days ago my dms stops working. it just played 1 track.... by selecting any other track my head unit (kenwood) said reading first, then eject."

How cold is it where you are running your phatbox? My 80gig Toshiba drive won't function when it is any colder than about 5 degrees c, and my 20gig VW DMS won't work below about -5 degrees c. The cold weather failure  symptoms are similar to yours. When I take the DMS inside for diagnosis, I don't find significant problems (because the drive warms up).

To recover the phatbox operation after it tries and fails to boot/run a cold drive, I have to unhook the power from the Phatbox, reconnect power, and insert a warm drive.

"Now i can't load any firmware on the dms and the "check for updates" function in the phatnoise software (music manager 2.3) doesn't work."

I am having the same problem with the both Music and Media Manager software. It says "Installed Product PhatNoise Platinum Edition" (the default) and no other products are available. I can't install plugins because PMM/PMM2 won't let me select the Kenwood Phatbox, and the plugins complain they aren't compatible with the current selected setup. Does anyone know if the PMMs are reliant on the proper input from the phatnoise web site? If the site is down, can we get them to fix the site? Or is there a work around to allow firmware and head unit selection to work on PMMs again?

sbingner's reply about firmware load procedure will work for recovering the firmware and system files to the DMS you've wiped. But maybe you didn't have a corrupt DMS in the first place, maybe the drive was too cold to run.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:45:47 am by snoggle »

Offline pugdevil

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:05:50 pm »
@sbinger - i've downloaded the files from the site for my kenwood headunit but i don't know where to put them. i've unzipped them to PHTSYS (think thats right) but nothing works.... take a look at my screenshot -> http://www.the-willi.net/firmfilesPHTSYS.jpg
i've inserted the disk in my car but only the green light flashes and nothing happens.
wenn loading the DMS in PMM it says "PMM has detected an uninitialized DMS - Click OK to configure".
Please tell HOW-TO :) i'm stupid ;)

@snoogle it's about +10°c when i'm running my dms - the last 3 years it worked fine with these temparatures.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »
try clicking OK then putting some music on it

Offline pugdevil

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 12:14:25 am »
by clicking OK the SetupWizard starts - it couldn't finished becaus i'm not able to get the firmware online from phtatnoise.... i've aborted the wizard and then i've loaded some music on the DMS - put it in my car and look..... green light flashes, radio doesn't work....
no changing since my last post.

Offline snoggle

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 2004 Impala LS + KHD-CX910
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:21:11 am »
I contacted Phatnoise about the problems with selecting the correct hardware and firmware with PMM.

Here is their response.
"We sincerely apologize for the problem you encountered. We are experiencing technical difficulties that are causing problems with the PMM Plug-in Activation server. Our web department is working as fast as they can to resolve this issue. Please try using your code again mid-next week. We apologize for the inconvenience in the present time."

I found that if I used the wizard, and don't tell it to get any updates from phatnoise, the Kenwood (and only the kenwood) option is available.

Also, remember when you rebuild a DMS or select a different firmware, a file name forceupdate is placed on your phatsys partition which will force a firmware flash and will slow down your phatnoise boot. Since you don't really want your firmware reloaded, make sure that file is removed from the DMS and then try it in your phatbox again.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 07:08:41 am »
If you extract all those files, it won't NEED to put the firmware on it...

Offline SPL KID

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:57:56 am »
I just had my 10 gig crash on me. How do you repair it? It won't read as being connected anymore and the green light keeps flashing and you can hear the disk turning.