Author Topic: Swapping DMS carts between different brand players.  (Read 4448 times)

Offline garypen

Swapping DMS carts between different brand players.
« on: March 07, 2007, 05:59:35 pm »
Since the firmware exists on the MNS itself, does that mean that one cannot swap cartridges between differeing brand units? I thought it would be nice to get a VW unit for the wife's car, and be able swap DMS between hers and my Keg. But, now that I know about the FW being on the DMS, I'm wondering if that's possible.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Swapping DMS carts between different brand players.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:34:32 pm »
Hi,

Good question - but it's not a problem.  The DMS does hold a copy of the firmware, but it is only updated in the Phatbox when there is a file called "forceupdate" present.  The act of re-programming the firmware causes the software in the box to delete this file, so it is a one-hit operation.  Thereafter, the software only accesses the data (database and music) on the DMS, so you should be able to play the same DMS in more than one vehicle.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:04:16 am »
That's almost entirely true... if you lose power and the wrong DMS is in the system when it powers up it will flash to the wrong firmware.... so make sure that if your battery dies you have the right DMS in it when the power gets reconnected ;)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:17:53 am »
if you lose power and the wrong DMS is in the system when it powers up it will flash to the wrong firmware....

Even after the forceupdate file is deleted?  Ouch!  I was not aware of that.  Thanks Sam.

Offline garypen

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:02:36 pm »
Good to know. Thanks!

I suppose I can always flash it back if necessary, though.