Phatbox / Keg software and support > Phatnoise Media Manager

INFO: Availablity of PMM and the servers that support it

(1/6) > >>

judb:
There have, of late, been a lot of posts / threads where people are having issues downloading versions of PMM (old versions haven't been available in a long time now, just 3.92).  Even the latest version has been unavailable for a while now. 

There have also been reports of issues with registration (we have a quick registry work around for that)
and activation (we don't have a solution for that).

The best thing I can say is everyone try and contact phatnoise via email and by phone if possible.  Also look at the Harmon Kardon parent site and find a contact there and bitch about customer service to them.

One other option is to contribute to the PMM replacement tools that are being developed by some of the users of these forums.  If we can get to where we operate these boxes with no phatnoise software other than the OS on the DMS then we'll be in good shape and not have to worry about all this crap anymore.

I highly doubt that phatnoise would allow us to have a mirror / alternate download location for their copyrighted software but if someone gets permission from them to host it on non-sucktastic servers that are admined by caring competent individuals then I am sure Sam and I can figure something out :)

VorTechS:

--- Quote ---Activation (we don't have a solution for that).
--- End quote ---

How about the registry again?
I see two reg keys:

Music Manager:

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PhatMan\RegistrationCode
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PhatMan\RegStatus - set this to 2 to get rid of the name registration

Media Manager:

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PMM\RegCode
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PMM\RegStatus - set this to 2 to get rid of the name registration

...all we need to do is work out how the registration code is converted to it's string representation and we could write a utility to register the application that way....?

I've checked that by clearing the value and re-entering it, that the software functions as it should after.

*EDIT*

Just did a bit more checking.  Looks like PMM 3.92 is looking at the PhatMan registration code to determine if the install is trial or standard version.
I don't have my reg. key handy to try and work out if there is any correlation between the string and the actual code.

judb:
Yeah I linked to a thread that says how to just add the RegStatus key and that fixes the registration portion where it nags you to register or whatever, the issue is activation for the enhanced features that we don't have a solution for I believe and I don't know if we figure it out if we should post it since those features are features you have to pay for.

When you activate PMM's enahnced feature set it requires you to insert a key into the app which is then checked against a phatnoise web service which is either down, or borked so that some folks keys don't work anymore.

VorTechS:
No I agree, I wasn't recommending we 'crack' the system for the gain of others.  But determine the algortihm based on a supplied number of keys [give privately] and come up with an application to act as the registration process in the interim - requiring the user to enter their valid registration details.

If you imply that accessing the extra features requires a web service then we of course are stuck.

judb:
it only requires it once during activation when you put in the key, it check the phatnoise servers to make sure the code you gave matches as I understand it.  I haven't debugged the app or done a network trace to see if it would be easy to bypass or anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version