Author Topic: Phatnoise Cradle Help!!  (Read 13473 times)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Phatnoise Cradle Help!!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 05:59:16 am »
Generally a lower voltage won't hurt.... but there are exceptions, most notably if you have the polarity reversed somehow

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 08:30:55 am »
Well thank you very much man! I am still lucky things still work, but I think we can safely say that using a lower voltage power supply for this cradle was okay though.. wouldn't you? I could see it the other way around with a higher voltage use than what it came with causing problems, but not a lower voltage one.. Let me know if I'm wrong!

You are right - you will almost always be safe with a lower voltage rather than a higher one.  (The very rare exception is units with badly designed switched-mode voltage regulators that can't handle the higher current that they may take at lower input voltages - best not to worry about that!). 

But different appliances will vary in their ability to withstand incorrect polarity.  Many will use a blocking diode, so if the polarity is wrong they just won't respond at all until the supply polarity is corrected.  Some others will use a reverse diode across the input to blow a fuse if the polarity is wrong.  That will protect the expensive electronics but will stop things working until the fuse is fixed.  And some devices will not have any protection - they will normally start to emit smoke after 5 - 10 seconds if the polarity is wrong.

Offline thisonefoo

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 12:38:52 am »
Well, thank goodness that didn't happen. If there was smoked.. I woulda pulled that sucker out so fast, a fat kid in a free candy store couldn't compete.

Anyways, thanks for all the info guys.. I really hope this thread is compiled with all the info anyone would need to fix their cradle in the future. Would love to see this thread help others just as much as it helped me.  ;D