Author Topic: Audi Phatbox to Kenwood HU  (Read 6370 times)

Offline beetle_slayer

Audi Phatbox to Kenwood HU
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:36:04 am »
OK, Audi Phatbox to Kenwood head unit.  Where can I find the info to make them work together.  TIA

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Audi Phatbox to Kenwood HU
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:06:01 am »
Nothin special.  Get the right cable and load the Kenwood firmware.

Offline beetle_slayer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:58:58 am »
I already have the Kenwood cable that came with my Sirius tuner.  Is it the same cable?  The connectors fit together.  Firmware link?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:40:49 pm »
Uh, the phatbox doesn't have the same connector as the kenwood sirius box at the phatbox side..

firmware can be downloaded via PMM or downloads.phathack.com

Offline snoggle

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 2004 Impala LS + KHD-CX910
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:27:39 pm »
http://wiki.phathack.com/Cable_FAQ shows the part number for the cable you need (KHD-5L1).

Also, I think some Kenwood Sirius tuners have two connectors (pass through) so the tuner can be used in conjunction with the Phatbox. But some of the tuners don't (one connector). If your tuner only has one connector, you will have to abandon the Sirius tuner and connect the Phatbox directly to your head unit with the KHD-5L1, or buy a separate Kenwood switching box.

You will need the KHD-5L1 cable in any case. This is a DIN to Phatbox connector cable. The cable that came with your tuner should be a DIN-DIN connector.

Firmware and head unit can be selected in Phatnoise Music Manager or Media Manager.

Offline beetle_slayer

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:53:40 am »
My Sirius box has "from head unit" and "to slave unit"--pass through capability.  The Phatbox has a flat connector going at the unit then the cable to a round din style connector--which fits into the Kenwood cable for my Sirius tuner/cd changer/hd radio.  I'll do some checking on the cable you mentioned to see if it is the same--I'm pretty cheap.

Offline beetle_slayer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:57:32 am »
Just saw the pinout diagram.  I will cut an extra cable I have and see if it works.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:18 am »
You need a whole new cable, you can't cut an audi cable and make it work.  It doesn't have the right pins connected.

Offline beetle_slayer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:10:13 pm »
I'm not going to cut the Audi cable--just the Kenwood cable from the head unit.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:48:22 pm »
That should work... the connector on the phatbox end is a major pain to solder or connect things to.   The part number is listed in the pinout page though if you haven't seen that yet