Author Topic: converting hacked VW Box to Kenwood.  (Read 5850 times)

Offline AndyHIP

converting hacked VW Box to Kenwood.
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:35:33 pm »
I have a hacked VW Phatbox in my car (original 20Gig HD replaced by 80Gig HD)
Now my Headunit (Seat MCD Navigation, same as VW) has been stolen out of my car, Phatbox remained.
Now i want to install a Kenwood HU, DNX7200 (Similar to DNX7100 US Model), so i´ll need thew new cable KHD-5L1

Is it possible to load the kenwood firmware (hacked?) to work with my 80gig drive? I still have the original 20gig disk, but it works in my Laptop and has been formated, will i need it?

How´s the browsing with an Kenwood HU? By Voice as VW/AUDI, or can i see the Albums, Tracks etc. on the Display of the HU?
will it display id3 Tags, what else can be displayed?

I hope its compatible to the DNX7200 (DNX7100)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: converting hacked VW Box to Kenwood.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:09:05 pm »
Just update your firmware via PMM to kenwood and it should work fine once you have the right cable.  That firmware is not 'hacked'

Offline AndyHIP

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:32:33 pm »
OK Thanks,

i mean my Phatbox is patched to work with my 80gig Fujitsu Drive (Not original in the DMS)

i just saw that i can connect an regular mobile HDD to the HU i´m planning to buy (via USB) so the Navigation may be better than with the PB, so i won´t convert my PB to Kenwood.

If isell my PB, and the buyer makes a FW update, will the PB still be patched to work with the 80GIG drive, of course i will tell him, that it´s not original.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:43:43 pm »
http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,753.0.html

some people think the new USB drive method sucks bad compared to the phatbox.  I haven't tried it yet myself.

Offline AndyHIP

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:01:12 pm »
hmmmmm.

Ok, but i asked a dealer (the only one that carries the KEG Cable in germany) - and they want 100 Euros for that (about $120)   :-\

i can get 2 HDD´s for that, almost.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:24:04 am »
Odds are you could get a whole system including a cable for that price:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=kenwood+keg&category0=

Also, you could see how much it is to get the cable from the states and have it shipped to you... probably also less