Author Topic: Dead cradle help  (Read 4867 times)

Offline fpw

• PhatHacker
Dead cradle help
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:45:25 am »
Hey guys,

Am in the UK and got a phatnoise with my Golf GTI about 3 months ago. The cartridge is all fine and plays in the car perfectly. Problem I have is with the cradle.

It worked ok the first couple of times but now when I plug the cartridge in get no lights off the cradle and pc doesn't know it's there. I've tried different power sockets and different usb sockets to no avail.

Anyone had this before, got any suggestions? VW dealer is being an arse and not very helpful. If anyone is selling a usb2 cradle (preferable in the uk) I may be interested as well.

Cheers

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Dead cradle help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 08:56:33 pm »
There is a tiny switch in the bottom of the cradle that may be bad.. check that.. if that isn't the problem I don't know what to tell you..

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 10:39:09 pm »
The cradle is actually an overly simple, even stupid, design, and is prone to failure.  You may be able to fix it on your own.  If not, any moderately competent electrician can fix it, and even improve it.

The way the cradle is supposed to turn on is that when you insert the cartridge into it, it pushes down a flimsy bent metal strip to make contact with the circuit board.  This is the switch judb means.  It is the most primitive of switches.  Because the strip is so flimsy, it can easily get bent out of the angled shape it is supposed to be in.  When this happens, the result is no power.  

If you look into your cradle where you insert the cartridge, you should be able to see the metal strip.  If you push down on the strip with your finger, the green power light should come on.  You need to put it back in the right shape so the DMS makes proper contact with it.  It's easier if you take the cradle apart.  I can't explain it any better, but once you see the strip you'll be able to figure it out for yourself.

What I ended up doing with my cradle is giving it to the handyman in my office.  I explained to him how it's supposed to work and asked if he could come up with anything better.  He ended up installing a proper power switch on the base of my cradle, so I don't ever have to worry about the internal switch breaking again.  Works like a charm.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline fpw

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:41:52 pm »
OK, cheers guys. I'll have a play with the connector.

Offline fpw

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 06:08:38 pm »
Had a play with the switch and didn't blow myself up, or, make the green light come on.

Mate has done electronics in the past, may have to give it to him see if he can suse if something's died.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:48:27 pm »
Yea, this solved my dilemma!

3 cheers to phathack!!!