Author Topic: DMS via USB Enclosure - PMM Not Recognizing  (Read 13333 times)

Offline oxblood8

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: DMS via USB Enclosure - PMM Not Recognizing
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 03:46:09 am »
if you repartitioned the drive yourself then the drive is useless as an original DMS, unless you did it using the phatnoise repair CD.  There is a 1 meg section of the drive at the beginning that contains special information that the phatbox reads to boot up.  It's some encrypted data that has a copy of the drives serial number stored in it.  if that isn't there and the phatbox isn't hacked the system wont take your drive.

You are going to have to get an original DMS from someone (borrow or buy) and hack your phatbox and then you can buy any drive that will fit in the dms case and use it.

so are you saying if i buy a new DMS i cannot just plug that straight into my phatbox unit and it will work straight away?  I need to hack it?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 06:47:09 am »
so are you saying if i buy a new DMS i cannot just plug that straight into my phatbox unit and it will work straight away?  I need to hack it?

No.  If you buy a new DMS, it will work in with your Phatbox without hacking.  You may have to update the firmware on it to match your system.  You would be wise to hack your box anyway (once you actually get things working).  Then, if your DMS should fail again, you can replace it with any notebook drive.

You really should have tried the hack and repair CD on your first DMS, as I suggested several times.  Judb is right, if you repartitioned it using any other method, there is no chance to recover it and use it as an original DMS.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline oxblood8

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 07:39:02 am »
No.  If you buy a new DMS, it will work in with your Phatbox without hacking.  You may have to update the firmware on it to match your system.  You would be wise to hack your box anyway (once you actually get things working).  Then, if your DMS should fail again, you can replace it with any notebook drive.

You really should have tried the hack and repair CD on your first DMS, as I suggested several times.  Judb is right, if you repartitioned it using any other method, there is no chance to recover it and use it as an original DMS.

I did try the hack and repair route a number of times but each time it just sat there saying "Searching for DMS".  The drive was screwed from the get go so it doesnt really matter that I stuffed up by repartitioning.  It was a hard lesson to learn but when i get my new one i will know what to do.

Again, thanks heaps for all the help you guys gave me.

Offline gumbyandpokie999

• PhatHacker
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 01:57:31 pm »
if you repartitioned the drive yourself then the drive is useless as an original DMS, unless you did it using the phatnoise repair CD.  There is a 1 meg section of the drive at the beginning that contains special information that the phatbox reads to boot up.  It's some encrypted data that has a copy of the drives serial number stored in it.  if that isn't there and the phatbox isn't hacked the system wont take your drive.

You are going to have to get an original DMS from someone (borrow or buy) and hack your phatbox and then you can buy any drive that will fit in the dms case and use it.

Where can I get that repair ISO? Pm me or email me a t yahoo.Thank You,