Author Topic: RIP!     PHATNOISE FORUMS  (Read 14892 times)

Offline chevy2500HD

RIP!     PHATNOISE FORUMS
« on: June 15, 2005, 06:11:53 pm »
so they are no longer hosting a forum on the phatnoise website.  I think you guys might be getting more members in the next few months!  You are going to have to make some new categories!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 08:20:59 pm by chevy2500HD »

Offline TurboTropic

Re: RIP!     PHATNOISE FORUMS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 07:22:14 pm »
Amen! That's why I just signed up.

I also just sent a reply to the e-mail message I received from PN. I'm very disappointed in them because they didn't even give any notice - I would have printed a bunch of information first. I've been a PB owner for 2 weeks and I don't know much...

Offline TouaRhodesian

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 07:52:00 pm »
Yeah, I just got the email too.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 09:40:10 pm »
Sorry guys, that bites that the forums closed.  I hope we didn't have anything to do with it, but at the same time I kind of do too. :)

Edit:  Hey Paul, Can we fire up a couple forums for general phatbox / keg questions and a Phatnoise Music Manager Q&A forum?

I don't have a problem answering questions for other folks.. since I can't tell people to use search on the phatnoise forums.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 09:42:26 pm by judb »

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 09:51:16 pm »
That's just plain nasty.

Arrogance.  No-notice, nothing, pulling the unix stuff, etc.

Any respect I had for them is now GONE.

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 11:33:30 pm »
As far as I can tell, the forum closure is NOT related to our activities... Over the past few months the behaviour of quite a bunch of members hasn't been, let's say, adequate. Some of them where just complaining in a very annoying way. I've seen other companies closing this kind of support mechanism due to the same reason - and I would also be pissed off after some time (even some/most of the complaints are justified) ;)
I hope this board can cope with this many users becoming part of this community. Let's get up the other sections to keep the hacking section as tidy as possible. Otherwise the dev pace might be reduced......

My 2 cents, Para
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:35:43 pm by para »

Offline shack

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 03:38:02 am »
FYI - I submitted a request to the webmaster and they have re-opened the forums "read only" until June 30 (I imagine there were many requests for making them temporarily available as they responded to this very quickly).  If there's something there you want, get it quickly before it's gone for good...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 03:56:42 am »
Time to see if there is a program that will archive every post in that forum.. :)

At the very least threads that Vince / Ryan / other phatfolk ... SteveC, Terry Kennedy, Firefox and a few other folks posted in.  They always had useful posts I thought.  I may have missed a few other folks that posted good stuff and if I did, sorry those popped to mind right away.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 03:58:02 am by judb »

Offline shack

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 04:09:45 am »
Yeah - I did some searching for a program to do that and have turned up emty.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 05:21:33 am »
WebReaper should do it.. it isnt pretty but it gets the data I think.  I am trying it out tonight.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 05:29:05 am »
Once I have the whole forums backed up I don't know what I can do about hosting the backups after they close the forums for good.  The copyright notice on the forums makes me wonder how they would feel about it.  If anyone wants to ask if we can keep it online for the purposes of future support of the community I'd appreciate it.

I should have it backed up shortly.

Offline gorgon5

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 09:17:15 am »
Just got the email myself.  Very very lame.  I compared the forums of different products before purchasing my Music Keg.  

Luckily, the post with the link pointing here was still up, and I found it.  Best of luck with the DMS project!

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 03:28:09 pm »
Well, while I can understand their decision, I find it to be terribly disappointing. I guess it came down to a decision between strong moderation or pulling the plug.

Things had degenerated badly over the last few months, and I hate to admit to having participated (badly) in at least on of the more vitriolic threads - one of the few that were ever deleted from the board.

At least the community is alive and well here. It would have been nice if they had included pointers to other forum sites, like this one, in the shutdown notice, but again it's understandable why they didn't.

Life goes on, and it sounds like you guys are making some terrific progress on opening up the DMS. Keep up the good work!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 12:08:10 am »
Forums backed up!  16K html files generated for backing up the forums.  it was a pain in the butt to keep it from following peoples offsite links but keeping other important links.

650 megs or so of data on the forums archive I made.  wow!

Offline StolenVW

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 01:01:01 am »
WinHTTrack Website Copier  can make a full copy/backup of the hole forums in html formate.

I use it to have a Hard copy of a info website on my laptop for when i need something and cant get on the internet.

Offline Nick

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 05:19:26 pm »
I feel kind of dumb now that I see an active community here.  I just started phatnoiseforum.com last night.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 05:59:10 pm »
how did you get my email address anyways?  did you have a list from the old forums?

Offline Nick

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 06:04:31 pm »
I just looked around, googeled your username I think.

Offline ecb5

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 01:09:34 pm »
Was someone able to copy all the forum contents before it was removed?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 09:33:17 pm »
Yes I did.  I am not allowed to post it due to BS copyright tags on the forum pages.  :(

phatnoise denied my request to rehost the static output of the forums for some reason.