Author Topic: Mostly thanks, no real question!  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Jaimelobo

Mostly thanks, no real question!
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:43:45 pm »
I just found and joined the forum today and wanted to post a thank you for all the info I already have found!

I bought a VW PB a year of so back (when they were on sale cheap), installed it, loaded some music, and did a little initial tinkering/investigating of the capabilities. Since then I've mostly just been using it to listen to music (I don't think I have had it out of the car in 6 months).

Recently, the stock CD Player in the Jetta died and I started looking at getting a replacement, but quickly learned, even used on fleabay, I could just buy a new aftermarket HU (with more features) for the not much more money then the replacement VW player. Over the last week or so, I've been online and in Circuit City/Best Buy/etc. trying to figure out what units will work in the Jetta (Monsoon options, existing harness, physically fit, etc., etc.).

Got those questions somewhat answered, but realized, "What about the PhatBox?" Am I just gong to lose it's use, or have limited control? Tried the same sources for answers and got everything from - "Not possible, at all" to "Sure any unit that has CD changers controls will work" and none of the sale people or technicians seemed real confident in their answers.

Then I found this board and in about ten minutes of reading, I got all the answers in a clear and concise way. Thank again to all who contribute here.

Just to verify however, if I stick with a new Kenwood HU with changer controls (and a cable/connector), I'm propably good to go?

Thanks,

James
James

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Mostly thanks, no real question!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 07:22:49 pm »

Just to verify however, if I stick with a new Kenwood HU with changer controls (and a cable/connector), I'm propably good to go?

Yes as long as you also update the firmware on the Phatnoise DMS to Kenwood.

I updated my Audi box to  Kenwood with just the above changes no problems.

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23:44 pm »
That's right, the Phatbox just needs the Kenwood firmware loaded but the hardest part will be sourcing a Kenwood Keg cable - i believe they are quite hard to come by these days!

Unless the situation has changed lately...?

You'll also need to get hold of the VIOT (voice index on tap) add-on for the Kenwood which will replace the SSA (Artist, Genre. Album) modes that you are used to in the VW configuration.

I could not live without my Keg - i'm on my second one and it makes driving a pleasure!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:35:41 pm »
As they said, once you obtain the proper cable it's cake...

You should also apply the hack to your PhatBox so that in the future when your HDD fails you won't have trouble replacing it ;)