Author Topic: PhatNoise AAC Plugin Database "Down" for 3 weeks?!?!?  (Read 19543 times)

Offline herbsman

PhatNoise AAC Plugin Database "Down" for 3 weeks?!?!?
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:15:37 am »

I recently upgraded to PMM v3.92 so that I could play my iTunes library on my BMW Phatbox.  I paid for the $14.95 version.  As soon as I installed the new version, I upgraded the firmware on my 30G cartridge.  Everything plays beautifully on the PMM, but when I try to play it in the car it says "plugin error".  I received a code to activate the new version of the software, but I did not receive an AAC plugin activation code.

So I emailed PhatNoise tech support and asked them to help, about three weeks ago.  They responded after about two days, saying that they were very sorry for the inconvenience, but that their AAC plugin database was "down", and that they would send me an AAC activation code as soon as the server was "back up".  They even offered to refund my $14.95 for the upgraded PMM 3.92.

After three weeks, I emailed them yesterday, referenced the previous "problem ID", went through my story again, and *begged* them for an AAC plugin code, as I have been in dead silence for the last three weeks.  I just received an email from them which I post below:

"Unfortunately, our plugin system is still down and there is no way to install an AAC code. We will email you as soon as the plugin system is working. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience in the present time.

Best regards,

PhatNoise Customer Support
"

Does this sound reasonable to you?  In my email I offered to pay $14.95, $29.95, $50, a bag of smoke, or my firstborn for an AAC plugin.  Is it possible (or likely) that their database has really been "down" for 3+ weeks?  Is this par for the course for Phatnoise support?

Do I have any other options whatsoever?

Any advice or thoughts you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kind Regards,

herbsman

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: PhatNoise AAC Plugin Database "Down" for 3 weeks?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:50:47 am »
Reply to your PM sent.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 11:58:43 pm »
I received the same reply last March! After replying to them that I had found a post on this message board about the same issue dated Feb 3, I stopped receiving any reply from them. I guess they're playing hide and seek.

Is there any way around this, a crack for the AAC plug-in?

Thank you.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 12:02:24 am »
No not really, i mean nothing that isn't of highly questionable legality.

They should be able to help you out by sending you the plugin files which as far as I know is really all that is needed.. but I could be wrong.

Offline danwoodward

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:47:14 pm »
I too purchased the "Media Manager" about a month ago and received an activation code for the software but not the plug-in.  In fact their glitchy server actually emailed me 4 different activation codes (I later confirmed though that I had only been charged once).

I installed the software expecting it to work.  I followed the instructions which seemed simple enough:

"Once the PhatNoise Media Manager is installed open the program. Click the 'Help' button. Select 'Enter Activation Code'. Enter your email address and activation code. (You must enter the same email address used when purchasing the PMM Plus Upgrade.) Click 'Enter Key'."

The instructions never mentioned anything about installing the plug in separately from the Media Manager software.  I copied several AAC files onto the DMS and promptly got the voice prompt "need AAC plugin".  I called PhatNoise and got the same response as others on this thread (the activation server is down, don't know when it will be back up, Harmon Kardon is now responsible for everything... call them, etc.)

My question is this... is there not a work around for this?  I have paid for the upgrade... have a receipt and all, I just need it to work.  If anyone has ideas, I sure would appreciate the guidance.

Offline dave42

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:46:25 pm »
I purchased a 120 GB DMS cartridge and PMM last January and I've e-mailed them dozens of times.

I'm still waiting for that server to be back up.

Once, they screwed up and sent me 32 separate e-mails containing 32 different PMM activation codes. Still no AAC plugin code, though.

Now the whole site is unavailable.

Don't hold your breath...

--Dave

Offline danwoodward

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:26:39 pm »

It seems a little unethical to me to continue promoting and selling a product that is not fully functional per the promoted specs.  It is curious that the "sales site" still is in full operation, but the license server has been out for the better part of a year.  I understand that Harmon Kardon has discontinued the PhatBox product, but as long as they are still selling the software, they should make it work!  I just want to get what I paid for!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 07:59:48 am »
If they've discontinued the product, then perhaps there's something we can do. 

I'm going to try and contact them and get some straight answers, I'll start in the UK but suspect I'll need to go direct to the U.S.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline danwoodward

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 06:54:10 am »
Hi VorTechS,

Any luck getting in touch with Harmon Kardon?  I have sent a few emails to a few different customer service email addresses with no response. 

Is there any way to get around the AAC plug in registration process?  Is it necessary "activate" the code, or is there a way to use the plug in with out going through the activation process?

Unfortunately... I can't even try this out.  After buying the PMM upgrade, I never was not able to download the plug in before the servers went out.  I never received the activation code either.  I just have PMM 3.92, that's all.

I hope we can figure this out... I sure would like to use my AACs in the PhatBox.

--Dan--

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:48 am »
Dan,

No nothing from them at all from various angles.  Closest I got was a 'I'll check it out from Harman Consumer group' in the UK and then they went all quiet.  So whatever is going on, we're not allowed to know about it ;)

Anyway, I'll send you a PM for a workaround.

Offline emichl1

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:30:44 am »
Hi dan, hi VorTechs,

I have the same problem. I bought the PMM upgrade a few months ago to be able to use aac files with my AUDI/VW phatbox. I recieved four mails with four different activation codes. Now I'm able to convert to aac with PMM and listen aac files, but I still have no working plugin for the phatbox itself. It's really annoying. Until now all my files are ogg, but after switching to Apple I want to convert all my CDs to aac. No question, I also want to listen them in my car and I don't want to have two versions of them (one ogg and one aac). I already wrote an email to phatnoise.com/harman.com - but no answer until now.
@ VorTechs: Please let us know as soon as you get the official permission publishing the aac plugin (or the workaround).

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:43:37 am »
There's never likely to be official permission to post the details of the workaround.
However, check you PM in a few minutes for details.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:20 pm »
I've been wanting to get the AAC plugin.  I procrastinated and now I guess I can't.  The trouble you've all been going through really sucks.  I think the phatbox is a great product, and it bites that they don't have the organization to promote it.  VW should never have dropped them on the newer models!

THe main reason I want the AAC plugin is for converting aac files to ogg, and vice versa.  And I wanted everything together in one program.  Is transcoding with aac allowed with the plugin?

Can anyone recommend another program for transcoding?  something with minimal quality loss.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 05:35:10 am »
transcoding loss wont be much improved from one application to another.. it really has to do with the concept behind transcoding.

you could think of taking a wav file and making it an mp3 file as a form of transcoding... only in this case there is minimal loss due to the source being lossless (like FLAC or several other formats out there).

I've used DBPowerAmp to do transcoding before and had good experiences with it. 

AFAIK the aac plugin in PMM is really just enabling aac file support for writing to the DMS and putting the AAC plugin for AAC playback onto the DMS.  I don't believe that PMM will do the transcoding bit for you.  (never tried it so I could be mistaken)

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 08:47:01 pm »
Well, having aac support in the phatbox would be just as good, I suppose, then I wouldn't have to transcode to ogg.  I sent an email to phatnoise saying that I am reluctant to upgrade to PMM+ due to the plugin problems.

Meanwhile, I've started to import my CD collection all over again, this time to FLAC.  THen I can transcode to whichever format I want them to be with out so much loss.  I found a transcoder on a German website called Germanix(freeware) The program has multilanguage support.  It seems pretty good with support for many formats, although I've only just tested a few files.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 05:29:41 pm »
I would reccomend ripping with Exact Audio Copy -- but I'm sure you knew that...  also your phrasing made me unsure you understand that there is no loss at all in transcoding from flac to MP3 (or other format) vice ripping and encoding to MP3 directly.  Probably just my interpretation of your word choice, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 09:07:21 pm »
well no additional loss is how I would describe it.. mp3 or any other lossy format approximates sounds and does discard some information, thats how the file size shrinks (technically that is a gross oversimplification but whatever).  Going from one lossy format to another sounds way worse.

going from flac to any compressed format would sound exactly the same as doing it from a CD directly... thats the important distinction to make in my mind.

Offline MTB_TDI

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:06 pm »
I bought the PMM upgrade on January 13, 2007.  I had the same experience as others here.  I received multiple activation codes for the PMM upgrade but no AAC code.  I called Phatnoise and talked to Jeniffer and she said that the would send the AAC code when the server is fixxed.  She said that some hackers got to it.  So I waited and kept calling for a while.  They would never reply to me, just kept ignoring me.  Anyway, 11 months later I still can't play AACs in my car.

VorTechS, can you PM me the workaround too?  It would be appreciated.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 02:53:45 pm »
Please forward me a copy of the activation e-mail and we'll go from there.....

Offline MTB_TDI

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 02:25:02 pm »
Sent in a PM.  I have the other email with the PMM upgrade code if you need that too.