Author Topic: I think I bricked my phatbox (vw edition)  (Read 7573 times)

Offline mr_bungalow

I think I bricked my phatbox (vw edition)
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:01:28 pm »
I thought this would be a fairly straightforward process as I was reading the instructions.   I have a 2002 Jetta GLI.

First I backed up the dms using the backup script (and made a few extra copies), then ran the dmshack.bat script.
Loaded the dms into my car and the first time it started the flashing process.. then I got CD-X, No-CD.  In looking at the bootlog, everything booted fine but only the first three steps finished correctly and then I got a segfault.  I read the forums a little bit, corrupted the ramdisk.sig file, and tried again.

The DMS loaded up but it kept saying "unkown album, unknown album" over and over.  I put the DMS in the cradle and the log is still showing segfault in the first couple of steps.  The bootup log looks like this:
Code: [Select]
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*-X: Failed

I just kept getting CD-X No CD over and over.  Here is where I think I screwed up:  I loaded up the Media Manager and did a dms repair (did not scratch it), then I searched for new firmware and tried to load that.  When I put the DMS into my car the green light lights up, then goes dark, then starts blinking repeatedly.  I can't even switch to the phatbox/changer option on the stereo because there is nothing there.

Is my box dunzo?  I can still read the DMS from the computer cradle but the phatbox itself is not booting up. 

Is it possible to start over from scratch at this point?

I'm at work and can't post the actual logs but may be able to tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: I think I bricked my phatbox (vw edition)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:15:13 pm »
firmware updates take aprox 5 minutes to complete.  its a slow steady green blinking.  give it time.

The instructions to the various hack methods say to make sure you are up to date on firmware before you do anything.

However, that said, we've never run across a single phatbox that gets bricked by our updates.  it really isn't possible for that to happen.  You've likely just screwed up the files on phtsys.

Format phtsys, load the firmware files on it from PMM, remove the files forceupdate and forcesettings and see if it works.

boot-x failed is usually you need to corrupt your ramdisk.sig btw.