Author Topic: VW Navi verG kills Phatbox?  (Read 3717 times)

Offline g60racer

• A few posts under my belt.
VW Navi verG kills Phatbox?
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:02:07 am »
Am starting a new thread to continue my PB/DMS diagnosis and repair.

A couple weeks ago my Navi G gave me the "No CD" message. When I popped my DMS back in the cradle, PMM would not recognize the DMS either.  But the drive was working, and I could read the DMS as two hard drives using explorer.  Found there were many corrupted files on the DMS.  Used a borrowed DMS to clone the proper files back onto mine.  My DMS became recognizable by PMM, and I tested it in my friend's PB - worked fine. 

{side note: I tried many times in another thread to get that frakking Repair CD to work on my computer and no dice}

But my DMS, though it works on my computer and in a different PB, won't work in my PB, so somehow my PB has self destructed and must have been responsible for corrupting my DMS as well. 

Come to find out that several people I know with Navi's have had their PB die on them just like this.  Now, in order for the PB to work with the Navi, some wiring mods had to be done to the motherboard, adding extra grounds and power circuit jumpers.  ( see vwnavi.com ) My question to you all here is, have you heard of Navi's killing PB's?  Is this a usual occurrence?

Several times before my PB died, I heard a loud pop through the speakers when shutting down my engine, even though the Navi was still on.  Each time, it stopped the PB from playing, til I rebooted the Navi.  A couple of times, it did this randomly while the car was driving.  Any ideas on what might be causing that?

My next question is, has anyone in here circuit tested a dead PB successfully and brought it back from the dead? 

Offline g60racer

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: VW Navi verG kills Phatbox?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:39:14 pm »
I take it no one here knows.   ???

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: VW Navi verG kills Phatbox?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:40:02 am »
Yea, I've never seen anything like that before :( -- it's probably possible to fix it, but  I doubt it would be simple