Author Topic: Constant Defragging?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline Viktor

Constant Defragging?
« on: October 27, 2007, 10:44:44 pm »
I put in a new HDD and maybe about 2 weeks or so I keep getting EJECT signs, I found that defragging the PHTSYS fixes this problem. But is this a common thing?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Constant Defragging?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:36:43 am »
Getting the "eject" message can be a symptom of many things, but the fact that you have to keep defragging your phtsys partition leads me to suggest checking the drive for errors, especially if you did not have the same problem before using the new HDD.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 11:14:20 am »
Just a thought... how big is the new disk drive...?  If it is 160G or bigger, did you overwrite the "linux" file with the modified one for big disks...?

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1259.0.html

One time I accidentally forgot to do this and had various troubles until I remembered. 

However, if the drive is 120G or below, this will not be relevant to your problem.

Offline Viktor

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:47:58 pm »
The new HDD is 30gb, I'll do the error check

Thank you for the advice, fellas!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:48:50 pm »
Just a thought... how big is the new disk drive...?  If it is 160G or bigger, did you overwrite the "linux" file with the modified one for big disks...?

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1259.0.html

One time I accidentally forgot to do this and had various troubles until I remembered. 

However, if the drive is 120G or below, this will not be relevant to your problem.

For future reference using the newer Windows Tools (the application, not that batch files) you do not need to worry about which version of 'linux' file to use as the tools determine the best one to use and writes it to the DMS correctly.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:16:17 pm »
you shouldn't have to defrag much for phtsys.. the data on it rarely changes.  unless you have extensive logging enabled or something.

other problems can come with phtsys from sudden losses of power / crashes of the phatbox / or pulling of the drive before the phatbox finishes shutting down and unmounting the drive.

Offline Viktor

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 01:23:02 am »
you shouldn't have to defrag much for phtsys.. the data on it rarely changes.  unless you have extensive logging enabled or something.

other problems can come with phtsys from sudden losses of power / crashes of the phatbox / or pulling of the drive before the phatbox finishes shutting down and unmounting the drive.

Thanks for the insight.

Well, the install-program wasn't working for this hdd. So I used the newdms.bat file to format it, I was getting the EJECT sign frequently so what I did was copy everything from the original PHTSYS back up to this one, and it worked fine. The only drawback is over short amount of time it starts very slow to the point where it will reads EJECT and the only working solution that seems to work for me would  be putting it back on the dock then doing the defrag.

Offline Viktor

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:27:15 pm »
Well it happened to me again, just fixed it.  But heres a quick question... the PHATSYS partition is 100MB, and I know the files use WAY LESS THAN THAT, should I shrink it down? Maybe that would help?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:08:26 pm »
No, it wouldn't make a difference.

Did you check the drive for errors, including a surface check?  You might try running a repair or rebuilding the DMS using the DMS tools or hack and repair CD.

You should also check for possible non-HDD-related causes of the 'eject' message, such as loose connections, including inside the DMS cartridge and the cable on the back of your phatbox.

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Viktor

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 01:35:13 am »
No, it wouldn't make a difference.

Did you check the drive for errors, including a surface check?  You might try running a repair or rebuilding the DMS using the DMS tools or hack and repair CD.

You should also check for possible non-HDD-related causes of the 'eject' message, such as loose connections, including inside the DMS cartridge and the cable on the back of your phatbox.

Thanks
Yes I did do a checkdisk and it came out clean. What I did notice is that when that error occurs it takes a little bit longer for it to load on my PC when I put it in the dock. Not by much, but just enough to be noticeable, then it works fine again. The connections are okay, nothing is loose at all.
I guess I'll try to rebuild it or try the repair CD.

Thanks again!

Offline Viktor

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:54:25 pm »

You know, I defragged again today, and I looked at the analysis and it the log file seems to have a high number in fragments.

So maybe extensive logging is enabled. How do I disable it?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 12:31:21 am »
look at rc.sh - make sure it doesn't have DEBUG_LOG or DEBUG_LEVEL

Offline Viktor

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 06:47:44 am »
mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /dos/Data
export DEBUG_LEVEL=10
export DEBUG_LOG=1
export AAC_DEBUG=1
while true
do
  /dos/phatd
done

AHA!!!! IT HAS BOTH!!!

OUT THEY GO!!! Catch ya in a week or so!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!  ;D