Author Topic: BMW "CD CHECK" when changing playlist/artist/album  (Read 7937 times)

Offline speedf

BMW "CD CHECK" when changing playlist/artist/album
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:07:44 pm »
Hi,

Just bought a Phatbox for my '05 BMW 3-Series (E46).  Seems to work fine, except...... Using the head unit (BMW Business) buttons to change the search criteria gives me the message "CD CHECK" on the head unit, and locks all the buttons (except MODE) on the head unit.  Anybody had this particular problem with the phatbox, or know anyway to stop the Business head unit doing its "cd check"?

The Phatbox is CAS-012-PBOX Rev B, and the blitzsafe is BMW/ALP DMX v.1

Thanks,

Offline Dirtboy

• Dirtboy
Re: BMW "CD CHECK" when changing playlist/artist/album
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »
I don't know what the problem is, but mine would do the same thing.  I had to cut power to the box for it to reset.  It used to happen quite often.  But come to think of it, that hasn't happened to me yet since I hacked my box...

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:45:43 am »
The only thing I can think of is that the DMS isn't fully inserted into the PhatBox.  Make sure it's pushed all the way in as I've found newer DMS cartridges seem to require a bit more force to dock properly with the PhatBox for some reason.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:19:39 am »
My guess is that what you're doing is sending a function that confuses the keg... is there any other firmware version you can try or anything?

Offline dunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:03:16 pm »
i just bought a bmw phatbox and have a similar problem - the box starts fine, but i often get cd check messages but it continues to play music but the 6 mode/disk buttons dont do anything and i cant skip forward or back.

if i press the mode button to cycle to radio and back to the phatbox, it picks up and all the buttons work again.

if i change mode say 4, pick a new artist, it goes back to mode 1 and all the buttons are stuck again.

i have 1 bmw box and a reflashed vw one and they both do the same thing all the time
the bmw box was not hacked but now is, and had the same fault pre and post hack

the fault is present with factory cartridges and ones i have made.
any ideas anyone?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 07:41:26 am »
the fault is present with factory cartridges and ones i have made.
any ideas anyone?

I've had a BMW PhatBox for many years now and haven't had this problem. I also converted a VW box to BMW for a friend, and his has been Ok too.

The BMW head unit continuously polls the CD player (PhatBox) with "are you there" messages. CD CHECK means that the head unit didn't see a response to that message. If there is a lot of iBus traffic (I've only seen it when the StealthOne radar detector interface is updating rapidly), the Blitzsafe adapter the PhatBox uses can get confused and will reboot, causing the PhatBox to drop offline and the CD CHECK error to be reported.

The other thing it could be is if you are using a generic Blitzsafe adapter and not one purchased from PhatNoise - then the 5/12 jumper is likely in the wrong place and the PhatBox is slowly frying.

Offline Dirtboy

• Dirtboy
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 07:15:40 pm »
The other thing it could be is if you are using a generic Blitzsafe adapter and not one purchased from PhatNoise - then the 5/12 jumper is likely in the wrong place and the PhatBox is slowly frying.

I've got the Blitzsafe from PhatNoise, but could you go into more detail about this 5/12 Jumper?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 03:09:45 am »
I've got the Blitzsafe from PhatNoise, but could you go into more detail about this 5/12 Jumper?

The Blitzsafe used by the PhatBox is the same unit that Blitzsafe sells to interface an Alpine changer to BMWs. The difference is that the Alpine control signalling runs on 12V, while the PhatBox uses 5V. So Blitzsafe put a jumper (actually, a set of solder pads) on the circuit board of the adapter.

Offline tnnytnny

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:09:12 pm »
Hi there

I have a phatbox and an 06 z4 and have never been able to get it to work.  I was wondering if u thought that this new adapter might work with my car.

Cheers 

Tony

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:20:48 am »
That's not a new adaptor, it's just how PhatNoise designed it to interface with BMWs...  your corvette is probably a completely different head unit, if you can find a PIE adaptor from your Z06 stereo to "KNNSR" (Kenwood Satellite Radio) it will work great... otherwise KNN will work.  Blitzsafe also makes good adaptors, they may have one for Z06->Kenwood.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 01:41:35 pm »
Corvette...?  A Z4 is a BMW where I come from...   ???

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:05:25 pm »
er, as you see by my saying "Z06" I must have read that late and got confused... if it uses the same HU protocol it should work fine.