Author Topic: Music Keg and Kenwood Head Unit KDC-X591  (Read 9761 times)

Offline DON3k

Music Keg and Kenwood Head Unit KDC-X591
« on: December 08, 2007, 09:39:23 pm »
One strange issue I've had with my Kenwood / Music Keg since day-one is the fact that if I turn off the ignition, when I restart the car / headunit, and the Music Keg begins playing again, it continues from the song / moment it left off, as it should, however, the Display no longer displays my choice, Song Title, but instead just flashes the playback time.. And, on the remainder of all songs on that Playlist, it will only display the Playtime. Even adjusting the headunit's Display selection to Artist, Album, etc, has no effect.

However, if I go up or down to any other playlist on the unit, it reads and plays that list correctly, and all other lists correctly, even the lists it would not show correctly earlier, just by moving to and from another list, but again the next time I turn the unit off and on again, either by Power or by Ignition, the display goes back to a flashing playtime display. Everything on the unit works fine, and Phatnoise says the DB is fine. I've deleted and rebuilt the DB, checked it, etc, but this behavior has always been there.

Any clues or suggestions as to why this is happening?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Music Keg and Kenwood Head Unit KDC-X591
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:10:14 am »
Sounds like a firmware issue to me.  Are you sure you have the last Kenwood firmware update, 13.01?
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline DON3k

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:04:49 am »
Yep, 13.01 Kenwood firmware, 2-digit display, latest PhatNoise (3.92) and nothing wrong anywhere I can find.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:31:32 pm »
It could just be a quirk particular to the Keg and that head unit.  I also have a Kenwood setup, and while I have never experienced your specific issue, I do occasionally experience random quirks (e.g. head unit displays correct song title, but wrong playlist title) that are also remedied by just switching to another playlist.  I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions, maybe someone else does.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:14:28 pm »
I also have a random quirk that's just started happening (it never used to):

Sometimes when resuming playback on starting the car up, the current track will continue and finish playing and then repeat itself once.  Once it's repeated it'll then move on to the next track.

Oh, that and inconsistently playing the startup sound [but that's definately the box].
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:56:21 pm »
Sometimes when resuming playback on starting the car up, the current track will continue and finish playing and then repeat itself once.  Once it's repeated it'll then move on to the next track.

This sounds a bit like a "feature" that I see occasionally.  If I turn ignition off at the end of a track, once in a while when I start up the same track will be repeated one more time.  It is as though the box has saved the "play position" parameters at the point where the play-time value has been zeroed ready for the next track but the track number has not yet been incremented. Clearly these updates should be an atomic operation and not be able to be split.  You don't say where you are in the track when this happens to you, but I would assume that it is near the end of the track when the box is already getting ready to play the next one.  More dodgy software I suspect.  BTW, mine is Volvo software, so pretty much the most recent build in general circulation.

Cheers,

Les.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:59:33 pm »
I'll have to keep a closer eye on when it does happen, I have a feeling it can be someway before the end of a track.  But dodgy it certainly is...
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)