Author Topic: Began hack, didn't work, accidently pulled power while trying again, stuck.  (Read 8846 times)

Offline childishidealism

I tried the hack using the Windows Update Procedure, and it failed the first time. I tried again but accidentally pulled power while it was working. Now whenever I put in my DMS both lights start blinking and won't stop. I cannot change to the Phatbox source anymore. I copied everything back to my DMS that I backed up before starting and still nothing. Is there a way to completely reset the phatbox itself?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
There are TWO windows procedures - which procedure did you use?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline childishidealism

This one.

http://wiki.phathack.com/Windows_Hack_Procedure

I'm pretty sure the issues is that I unplugged during the procedure while the firmware was loading. Again this was an accident. I feel like an idiot.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Don't worry about it, stick the DMS back in the box and it should re-load the firmware.  Just be patient and give it plenty of time (upwards of 10 minutes by PhatNoise's estimations).
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline childishidealism

I've tried this several, several times. Both lights just flash forever (hours). I've restored the DMS, I've updated the firmware, I've reapplied the hack, all the same results.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Okay a couple more questions:

I assume you have never re-partitioned the disk?
Did you try reverting the firmware, and booting the box up WITHOUT hack?

Offline childishidealism

I haven't done anything with the partitions. I'll go through in detail.

Began with 20GB stock DMS.

Backed everything up.

Followed procedure from Windows Hack Procedure linked above.

When I first inserted DMS after hack, the unit immediately booted into normal mode and started playing the first song on the DMS.

I checked the logs and here they are.

"bootload.log"
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*-X: Failed

"patch.log"

: No such file or directory
PhatPatch v0.8 - original code by bushing, additional patches by sbingner
Finding patch offsets:
Verified standard patch offsets
Verifying:
Patch 1 @ 0bb8: make drive signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0033 1a00
Unverified!
Patch 2 @ 0bec: make rc.sh signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0026 1a00
Unverified!
Patch 3 @ 0c20: make phatd signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0019 1a00
Unverified!
Patch 4 @ 0c54: make linux signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 000c 1a00
Unverified!
Patch 5 @ 0354: make ramdisk invalid signature return 0 instead of 0xFFFFFFFF: [movlne r0, 0xFFFFFFFF -> movlne r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 13a0    Actual: 0000 13e0
Unverified!
Patch 6 @ 0c80: make ramdisk signature check verify 0 instead of 1: [cmp r0, #1 -> cmp r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 e350    Actual: 0001 e350
Unverified!
Patch 7 @ 0358: make ramdisk valid signature return 0 instead of 1: [moveq r0, #1 -> moveq r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 03a0    Actual: 0001 03a0
Unverified!
Patch 8 @ 0330: don't try to read ramdisk.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 02db eb00
Unverified!
Patch 9 @ 02c0: don't try to read linux.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 02f7 eb00
Unverified!
Segmentation fault

No other logs were created.

I tried again by reinserting the DMS and it began working and kept rebooting and giving me a "no cartridge found" error. I expected this and kept changing back to the phatbox source, but it happened at least 50 times and never changed. The logs didn't change either.

I tried one more time but right after I inserted the DMS I accidentally unplugged the cable. 

Ever since then I can't even switch to the phatbox source and when I plug in the DMS the lights start up  and both blink forever even after I remove the DMS until I pull the plug.

I used my backups to restore the DMS to how it started and get the same thing. I then updated the firmware, same thing. I then reapplied the hack, same thing.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Strange... there should have been more than that in the logs, but what is generally the cause of the symptoms you describe is if it crashed while trying to do the ramdisk patch.   What you can try is backing up, then replacing ramdisk.sig with one of the other .sig files... once that is done, see if the patch completes

Offline childishidealism

I replaced the .sig file, used the phathack tools to reapply the hack, put the DMS in, and everything seemed to work. Thanks! Here are my logs.

*bootload.log*
BOOT9-X: Successful
BOOTB-X: Successful
BOOTF-X: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

*PatchVerify.log*

PhatPatch v0.8 - original code by bushing, additional patches by sbingner
Finding patch offsets:
Verified standard patch offsets
Verifying:
Patch 1 @ 0bb8: make drive signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Verified!
Patch 2 @ 0bec: make rc.sh signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 3 @ 0c20: make phatd signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 4 @ 0c54: make linux signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 5 @ 0354: make ramdisk invalid signature return 0 instead of 0xFFFFFFFF: [movlne r0, 0xFFFFFFFF -> movlne r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 13a0    Actual: 0000 13a0
Verified!
Patch 6 @ 0c80: make ramdisk signature check verify 0 instead of 1: [cmp r0, #1 -> cmp r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 e350    Actual: 0000 e350
Verified!
Patch 7 @ 0358: make ramdisk valid signature return 0 instead of 1: [moveq r0, #1 -> moveq r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 03a0    Actual: 0000 03a0
Verified!
Patch 8 @ 0330: don't try to read ramdisk.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 0000 eb00
Verified!
Patch 9 @ 02c0: don't try to read linux.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 0000 eb00
Verified!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
You're good now... you can put the valid ramdisk.sig back and everything should continue to work fine.

When I first looked I didn't notice your Boot0-X: Failed -- that means ramdisk.sig -- would have validated my assumption ;)

Sam

Offline childishidealism

Re: Began hack, didn't work, accidently pulled power while trying again, stuck.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 02:48:36 am »
New hdd in, files transfered, all good! Thanks again for all the help.

Offline drewski

• PhatHacker
Re: Began hack, didn't work, accidently pulled power while trying again, stuck.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 10:41:23 pm »
Strange... there should have been more than that in the logs, but what is generally the cause of the symptoms you describe is if it crashed while trying to do the ramdisk patch.   What you can try is backing up, then replacing ramdisk.sig with one of the other .sig files... once that is done, see if the patch completes

I am having this same exact problem. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "replace ramdisk.sig with one of the other .sig files" Can you explain this in more detail?

Just save the old ramdisk.sig and then copy any other *.sig file and rename it ramdisk.sig? Sorry, if this is a stupid question!  :-[

TIA!!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:16:01 pm by drewski »

Offline drewski

• PhatHacker
ok, it seemed like that helped . . . somewhat.

my headunit now recognizes my PhatBox and i can play music from my original/hacked DMS, but DMS Tools says the patch failed.  :-[

bootload.log:
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

but there is no PatchVerify.log as childishidealism posted or Logfile.txt, like DMS Tools says there should be. any ideas? thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:20:32 am by drewski »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Don't worry about it - DMS tools is wrong if it says it failed.

So long as you can boot with a valid ramdisk.sig that is -- if not, just put the patch files on either dms again and it'll apply the remaining patches.

Offline drewski

• PhatHacker
Don't worry about it - DMS tools is wrong if it says it failed.

So long as you can boot with a valid ramdisk.sig that is -- if not, just put the patch files on either dms again and it'll apply the remaining patches.

so i copied the old ramdisk.sig back to it's old location and then it gave me two "CD 1 TR 1" messages which exited me out of the cd changer. on the third try it gave me a "NO CD" message which didn't clear itself so that seems like a bust. i'll try repatching the DMS and see what happens.

so is that considered a valid ramdisk.sig? it is just the one that i renamed because of the previous issue? or was the issue caused because the ramdisk.sig was bad? i'm still not clear on that. thanks.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
If you read these lines you should understand it:

Code: [Select]

If it's not completely patched, it may be in a state where only invalid signatures for ramdisk.sig work