Author Topic: No PhatNoise DMS was detected, but both drives visible in Explorer  (Read 4857 times)

Offline chris023

This system worked fine before any of this.  Yesterday I wiped the DMS clean to load some new songs, renamed the 2nd drive, and loaded new playlist.  Left for a few hours and when I came back it said everything was saved and ready to eject.  Car won't recognize anything on the DMS and it just keeps skipping tracks.  I checked the DMS in Mgr to see what was on it and it won't recognize it, tells me no DMS was detected.  I can see the 2 drives with Explorer and have even transferred files to them.  I cleaned the plugs with contact cleaner and rebooted numerous times, connected and not connected.  Red light comes on the cradle and the green for a couple seconds after installing the DMS.  I bought this system used.  Running 1.87 version mgr which is what was given to me.  Anyone have any ideas?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: No PhatNoise DMS was detected, but both drives visible in Explorer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 11:35:10 pm »
Hi,

When you say you wiped the DMS clean - what did you actually do?  Did you just delete files using the Phatnoise software, or did you reformat either or both of the PHTSYS and PHTDTA partitions, or did you go further and delete the partitions themselves?  You say that you renamed the second drive - how and to what?  My guess is that this is your problem. The two names must be PHTSYS and PHTDTA.  Also, it may help if you can tell us whether your Phatbox has been patched / hacked to accept non-original DMS drives.

Sorry if it's a lot of questions, but they help narrow down the possibilities of what may be wrong.

BTW - as a general rule don't ever delete the partitions on an original DMS drive - you may create problems that are much harder to solve...

Les.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:54:22 pm by S80_UK »

Offline chris023

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 11:54:40 pm »
Changing the name back solved my problem.  I had renamed the 2nd drive "PHTDTA" it under Explorer to my name.

"wiped" meaning I wiped the drive clean/deleted songs under the hardware option.

As far as I know this phatbox has never been hacked, I was told it was original.

I can access it with Music Mgr now.  time to save/eject and see if the new songs show up in the car.

Thanks for the help

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 01:22:50 am »
No problem.  It sounds like it should be OK now.

You may want to consider hacking the box at some point (after you've got things stable again) since that will then allow you to upgrade the DMS to a large drive, or just replace the drive that you have if it ever dies.  Note that you must have an original DMS to do this - it can't easily be done without.  The process won't harm your current DMS but will give you options for alternate drives in the future.  There's plenty of advice and tools on this forum if you ever want to go down that path.

Good luck!