Author Topic: Media Manager 3.92 - Error retrieving DMS drive ID - Hacked drive  (Read 27093 times)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Media Manager 3.92 - Error retrieving DMS drive ID - Hacked drive
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 12:55:09 am »
I'm looking at getting rid of my car and buying a new old one ;) --- at that point I'll probably be able to use my phatbox with a kenwood head unit again and I'll try to figure this crap out...  of course it'll probably be irrelevant once vortec's software is production ready...

Anybody selling a Camaro Z28?  Prefereably SS?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 08:49:07 am »
Mark,  Did 3.51 work for you?

I am having trouble with 3.76 and the hack DMS.  I was thinking of switching to 3.92 or 3.51.
Maybe I'll just use Media manager with the good DMS, and Music manager with the Hack one.

Yes, Anton, 3.51 does seem to work, at least as far as not getting the invalid drive ID message.  The program crashed when trying to convert the DMS database to the new format.  So, I think to really test it I will have to wipe the DMS and reload my music, which I have not had time to do yet.  I'm awaiting delivery of a new 160GB drive, and I will use that to test with all versions of PMM that I have (3.51, 3.76, 3.92).  I will post the results.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 09:06:14 pm »
If anyone is still following this thread:

New Samsung 160GB drive, created as a DMS using the dd method.  I used a different original DMS than I had used on the 120GB drive.  It works with 3.51 and 3.76 (the 120GB would not), but still will not work with 3.92 -- which is strange, because I thought 3.76 and 3.92 were looking for the same thing (whatever it is).  Oh well, I can live with 3.76 for now.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 01:49:44 am »
Ok, mark, thanks.  I have my drive wiped clean right now, and I will install 3.51.  Or maybe I will upgrade to a bigger drive.  60 Gig isn't cutting it anyore.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 11:27:14 pm »
I was having issues with PMM 3.95 and my new 160 gig drive today so I installed 1.87 and copied my music using it.  Now 3.95 will see the DMS. I am going to try and copy some more music to it in 3.95 and see if that works.

Offline ajwkappe

• PhatHacker
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 05:20:27 pm »
Hi, I am having problems too, Toshiba 160, it recognizes the drive, copies everything but on writing the voiceprompts it 'hangs' and shuts down. Anyone seen this before?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 08:41:27 am »
In case anyone is interested, I have gotten around to trying 3.92 and the same hacked Samsung DMS on three different systems, and can report:

1. My main system is an AMD X2 system (nVidia chipset), and this is where I first had all the "error retrieving drive ID" problems.
2. My laptop is an Intel Dual Core system, and the symptoms are identical.
3. My other system is an Intel P4 single core system, and 3.92 works for the most part -- though I did get a drive ID error when I tried to open the firmware properties.  All other operations normal, albeit a bit slowly.

Each system is running XP Pro, in identical configurations -- same antivirus, same firewall, etc.  So, it seems reasonable to deduce that the drive ID issue is related either to systems running multiple processors, or possibly to certain USB chipsets.  If anyone is using 3.92 with a hacked drive running on a multi-core system without issue, I would be interested to know.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 05:07:12 pm »
I have an XP SP2 system running on a Core 2 Duo setup using an EVGA 680i motherboard (nvidia chipset).  I don't have probelms with the drive ID issue with PMM.. but I seeded the DMS from 1.82 I believe it is and then ran 3.92 and no issues at all.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 09:53:45 am »
OK, judb just killed part of my theory.

Just for kicks, on my AMD machine, I changed the properties of pmm.exe to compatibility mode for Windows 98/Me, and the DMS finally loaded.  I transferred three songs, and tried to save.  It took forever to generate the SQL database, then about two hours to save my 570 discs/playlists, and finally just hung on the voice prompts.  I even waited another hour to see if it would respond, then finally had to kill it.  The result is nothing saved, and my voice prompts are completely wiped!

The problem now is because I did use 3.92 to save the DMS on my other machine (which is at different location), PMM will not let me roll back to 3.76.  It keeps telling me my version is outdated and I have to upgrade (I suppose due to something different about the db generated by 3.92).

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:33 pm »
yeah delete the phatman.ini i think its called on phtsys and you'll have to delete the .db files in the root of phtdta..

then you should be able to open it in an older version of PMM.  it wont show the music thats loaded, but you wont have to wait for files to recopy.

Offline jlv

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 04:02:27 am »
I'm getting this error with a new Samsung 120G drive I just put in my DMS - I can use PMM 2.20 (which I still have installed) to add playlists, but PMM 3.92 keeps giving me this error and won't recognize the DMS.

I just read through this whole thread, and it doesn't look like there's really a solution, other than to use 3.51 or 3.76.

Note that when I run the standalone "DMS doctor" (from 2.20 or 3.92), it fails the 'Checking for system files' test.

I do have a 1.87 setup, so I will try to install that and reinitialize the playlists.
Any other suggestions?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2008, 11:39:21 am »
Each system is running XP Pro, in identical configurations -- same antivirus, same firewall, etc.  So, it seems reasonable to deduce that the drive ID issue is related either to systems running multiple processors, or possibly to certain USB chipsets.  If anyone is using 3.92 with a hacked drive running on a multi-core system without issue, I would be interested to know.

Hi Mark,

Well, I just upgraded my AMD box to dual core (without a new OS install - using XP Pro).  I was running 3.92 and a 160G DMS before and I still am.  DMS insertion launches PMM as before, or inserting after PMM is started adds the DMS to the devices seen in PMM.  No issues.

As upgrades go it was pretty painless. I wanted to give dual core a go but don't have the budget for a new system right now, and I picked up an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ for £35 from Ebuyer.  Motherboard is 3 years old Abit AV8.

Happy New Year!

Les.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 09:29:29 am »
I was running 3.92 and a 160G DMS before and I still am.  DMS insertion launches PMM as before, or inserting after PMM is started adds the DMS to the devices seen in PMM.  No issues.

Hi Les.  In an earlier post in this thread, you were using a WD 80GB drive, also without issue.  Can you tell me what brand/model of 160GB drive you are using now?  I'm still trying to figure out where the issue lies, and starting to think it might be brand or model-specific.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 09:46:49 am »
Hi Mark - It's a Seagate  Momentus 5400.3 160GB, UDMA 100 with 8MB cache.  Around £80 from dabs.com

Les.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 12:37:46 pm »
Thanks Les.  I just succeeded in dd'ing (Genesis method) my WD 80GB drive, and now it will work with 3.92.  I thought I had tried that before, but either I didn't or I used a different original DMS as the seed than the one I used this time (which is an original Kenwood 10GB DMS).

The same action did NOT seem to work for either a Hitachi 120GB or a Samsung 160GB.  Unfortunate, of course, as I use the larger drive for my music.

So, unless someone suggests otherwise, based on your info, posts from other users experiencing problems and my own experience, I conclude:
PMM 3.92 works with hacked Seagate and Western Digitial drives, though it may be necessary to copy the signature from an original DMS. 
PMM 3.92 does NOT work with hacked Hitachi or Samsung drives, whether or not an original DMS signature has been copied to the new DMS.

Therefore, my next step, which I was considering anyway, is to get a WD 250GB drive, and cross my fingers.  (I don't know what I'm going to do with all these extra 2.5 inch drives.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:41:00 pm by markbowen »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 01:10:20 pm »
I always dd the signature block, just in case. 

Let me know how you get on with the 250GB.  My 160GB is almost full (mostly FLAC apart from audio books)

Off-topic, but I have used a similar trick to recover trashed USB sticks by cloning sectors from an identical good stick.

Les
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:12:01 pm by S80_UK »

Offline chico

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 08:02:11 pm »
So, unless someone suggests otherwise, based on your info, posts from other users experiencing problems and my own experience, I conclude:
PMM 3.92 works with hacked Seagate and Western Digitial drives, though it may be necessary to copy the signature from an original DMS. 
PMM 3.92 does NOT work with hacked Hitachi or Samsung drives, whether or not an original DMS signature has been copied to the new DMS.

I just made a DMS with a Western Digital drive and I get an error from PMM 3.92 about it not being able to access CurrentSetup.xml. It works fine with PMM 1.87 though.