Author Topic: khd-cx910 and khd-c710 headunits and fm modulator not in update firmware  (Read 8761 times)

Offline tieflyer

• A few posts under my belt.
just got the two models above.  Tried to setup cx910 to be used with a kenwood fm transmitter, and the 710 to work with a kenwood kdc-mpv622,  will download of the kenwood files from  your download section allow me to update my dms cartridges to use these products?   

I really need help, if I hit the wizard in the pmm, it does not list any update/products for kenwood and now I am upset.  will I screw up my music kegs, head unit, and fm transmitter if I do not update the dms cartridges to be used with them?

HELP!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: khd-cx910 and khd-c710 headunits and fm modulator not in update firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:06:14 pm »
If you are using the original DMS cartridges that came with your Kegs, they should already be set up to work with Kenwood head units.  With the DMS connected, you can check the firmware properties in PMM to see if the latest firmware (13.01) is loaded.

In case they are not updated with the latest firmware, you can use the Windows DMS Hack Tools to update the firmware.  If you are not hacking your Keg, use the non-hacked firmware option.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:51 pm »
"In case they are not updated with the latest firmware, you can use the Windows DMS Hack Tools to update the firmware.  If you are not hacking your Keg, use the non-hacked firmware option."

silly question, what is above tools, where can I get them, is there something to read on how to use them?  I am a total newbie to this site.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:48:19 pm »
Read about the DMS Hack Tools in this thread:  http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1291.0.html

The Hack Tools program is very user friendly and practically self-explanatory, but you can also download documentation for the program.

I suggest further general reading of the PhatBox Hacking sub-forum on this site, some skimming around the other sub-forums, and a thorough read of your PhatBox/Keg manual.  This site also has a very useful search facility, which can often help find answers to frequently asked questions.

Good luck!

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:41:37 pm »
downloaded it  :D :D :D :D, looks great, but would you use hacked or non-hacked firmware for out of the box dms cartridges?  Hacked I guess? ???

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »
Non-hacked for original DMS if you want it to work in unpatched boxes

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:18:42 pm »
Thanks for the info.  As long as I am asking dumb questions, will this setup the cx910 to work correctly with a kca-r71fm?  and the c710 to work with a kdc-mpv622 so that the buttons/controls work correctly. 

I am used to my phatbox in my v dub where 2 does playlist, 3 is artist(or album or whatever they are).  On the fm transmitter, 2 cycles you thru playlist, then album, then artist, and I am trying to make this as easy as possible for my wife where up and down goes thru the different playlists, play pause does just that, and 2 would do play list, 3 would put her in album mode, 4 in artist(whatever) so when she says she can't change playlists I can say just hit 2 and then up and down instead of saying hit 2 until you hear playlist then up and down.  My wife is technically challenged.

this is the worlds best site! 

would you do the hack or not?

if I do the hack, don't like it, can I do the non hack firmware to get it back to "original" state?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:56:52 pm »
The Kenwood firmware will work with all Kenwood products.  You may have to figure out which buttons do what, but it will work.

The benefit of the Kenwood setup for your wife is that the Kenwood head units (including the FM modulator) will display text information, so you she will be able to see (as well as hear) what playlist or album or whatever she is on, including the currently playing track.

Everyone should do the hack eventually.  At the very least, this gives you the possibility to replace the hard drive in your DMS if it ever fails -- which is statistically inevitable.  It's not complicated, and even if you run into hitches, the folks on this forum will help you get it done.  I suggest you read up on it a bit more before tackling that.

Once hacked, there is no way to un-hack the box, but there would be no need.  Hacking the box does nothing bad.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:57:07 am »
Thanks for the info.  As long as I am asking dumb questions, will this setup the cx910 to work correctly with a kca-r71fm?  and the c710 to work with a kdc-mpv622 so that the buttons/controls work correctly. 

I am used to my phatbox in my v dub where 2 does playlist, 3 is artist(or album or whatever they are).  On the fm transmitter, 2 cycles you thru playlist, then album, then artist, and I am trying to make this as easy as possible for my wife where up and down goes thru the different playlists, play pause does just that, and 2 would do play list, 3 would put her in album mode, 4 in artist(whatever) so when she says she can't change playlists I can say just hit 2 and then up and down instead of saying hit 2 until you hear playlist then up and down.  My wife is technically challenged.

this is the worlds best site! 

would you do the hack or not?

if I do the hack, don't like it, can I do the non hack firmware to get it back to "original" state?

The kenwood unit uses scan to cycle through modes.  "2" on the FM transmitter is actually scan, and there is no way to change this.  If you want it to be only playlists for her, you can remove the VIOT plugin from the box... and scan will then work like scan, and she will be stuck in playlist mode.

Patch every box, it cannot cause any problems.  It modifies nothing in the running data, only a bootloader which is not used once the box starts.

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 01:07:32 pm »
Thanks for the info on the transmitter.  Does anyone know what the other buttons are supposed to do on the fm transmitter and on the kdc-mpv622?  do any of them work like the vw radios do?

can I change the phatbox.ini to make the keys do things?

:)