Author Topic: PhatNoise DMS Cartridge Escapades...  (Read 11823 times)

Offline got2b240

PhatNoise DMS Cartridge Escapades...
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:12:24 pm »
What a great community I have found here! I appreaciate all I was able to read up on before I made this post...

Anyhow, it was really cold the past few days, and in the other morning I had jumped in my car to warm it up and head to the office. I hit the CDC button on the deck and it was stuck on “Loading Disc 1” with no other response. So what I did was take it back in the house, and plugged it in. Windows XP has the hardest time trying to recognize the two partitions and It took 5 minutes for the “My Computer” folder to refresh. Eventually when it appeared, any time I was just trying to pull up the properties from the partitioned drives, windows would lag horribly.

Without knowing, I decided to right click on the PHTSYS partition drive and formatted it. I also had done the same with PHTDTA because I assumed the drive was completely corrupted. After, I was able to access the drives from windows which now they were completely blank. I was bearing in mind that PhatNoise DMS Doctor would repair this issue. I tried later and it failed every test it seemed to have run against the cartridge 

Knowing that I have just wiped the information and firmware from the DMS Cartridge, I began searching like a madman on the internet to find a solution just like with anything else I have trouble with. Luckily, I came across the whole PhatHack community on the forums which you seem to dominate. I registered on the site and downloaded the 2.10 version of your DMS HackTools and ran the DMS Firmware/Create new DMS utility with the flash the box with Audi 7.02 firmware. After it has finished its cycle of procedures, I noticed there weren’t any files on the PHTSYS drive, despite my belief that it would insert the firmware folders. I figured that maybe they would be hidden from access in windows. After I opened up PMM, it seemed like the cartridge was workable and I began to add a few songs to test, and I even recreated voice prompts. When I plugged it in my car I watched the LED’s and the Green one was blinking at a slow rate and it never went into firmware mode. I waited 15 minutes, hoped in the car and turned on the ignition to see if the Symphony (Q) was recognizing the CDC button to switch over to the PhatBox. It didn’t even respond to the button now……I have tried unplugging the cable and doing like others on the forum trying to see if it was going to catch the hidden firmware on the cartridge, but maybe there isn’t any on there after all?

My question to you, have I deleted that “no turning back” section of my drive? With the DMS Hack Tools, I tried just running to the step of verifying an original cartridge, and it said that it is Original. Maybe it’s because I need to unzip those folders from that site that has the Audi Firmware 7.02?? I hope there is still a chance that I can either run the hack tools and flash my PhatBox, or I can just restore it to original form. I also found what seemed to be a signature generator for the DMS, in which I am clueless on using.

I am just frustrated, and consumed by this problem. Music is my life and if you can help me to restore this PhatNoise system back to normal, I would like to offer payment for your services.

Thank you!

-Chris

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: PhatNoise DMS Cartridge Escapades...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:49 am »
Wow, you know I think I've read this somewhere else.
Oh yea, my inbox! :)

Anyway, I replied to your mail, we'll take things from there......
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline got2b240

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »
Hey Bud!

This site and your invaluable tools have helped get me back in shape. Today I was even able to load up a 60 Gig hard drive from one of my old laptops i had laying around!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Offline bluejens

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:15:35 pm »
Hi all your experts out there,

same happened to me. I (living in germany) also formatted the sys und dta on my DMS. Don't ask me why  ???

It's an original 20 Gig Cartridge without any hack and it won't work anymore. I really would appreciate  any advice!!
 ;D

Greetings

Jens

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:29:14 pm »
If you didn't repartition you're guranteed to be fine -- first step is to just load up the firmware... and put music on it, if that doesn't work you'll have to do something else ;)

Offline bluejens

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:31:01 pm »
Hi sbinger,

thx so much for the quick reply. I must admit I'm not sure, what exactly happend to my DMS.  ??? This is my current status: As adviced I copied the firmware to the DMS, the Phatnoise Music-Manager identified the cartridge. Current setting is Volkswagen all brands versions 7.02. So far so good. But when I plug it into my car, the green light is blinking and blinking. I wait for twenty minutes, knowing that a firmware update takes some time, but at the end my radio isn't able to find the box. I'm for example unable to switch into the function mode to choose the correct radio-type. On the other handside your Hack-Wizard tells me, that it's an original DMS. That sounds like the signature is still there. That is really strangely.  :o
Is there any way to find out, if the signature and the "no turning back section" still exist?  Since my wife is on the way with our car, I unfourtunatly cannot test the cartridge till friday.

Greetings  and a big big THANK YOU for your comments.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:51:50 am »
You would have to send me an image of the beginning of the drive for us to be sure...

But... get a bootload.log on there, that may tell us something

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:37:09 am »
The Hack Tools is looking for a specific combination of strings on the drive ID as reported by the cradle to determine the originilatity of the disk.  It's not checking the first 1MB of the disk for a signature or anything (just to clear that up).
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bluejens

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:55:29 pm »
Okay I see. I've read in the wiki how to deal with the bootload.log. But how do I get an image of the first 1 MB or the beginning of my drive?

Sorry, but I must admit I'm a little bit naively regarding that and I've no clue at the moment.

Thanks

Jens

Offline bluejens

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 06:37:42 pm »
Yippee!!!

Guys, you are perfect. My DMS is working. I did all the steps as described in the bootload.FAQ. The result is:

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

So I knew, the first 1MB is still on the disk. The problem was forced by a wrong firmware. Now I've the right one and the music plays and plays.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks so much for your support and your tips. I really really appreciate your help.

The next step I'm going to do now is a backup of my disk using the Hack Tool. Just to be prepared for the next damage.

Greetings bluejens

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »
Now, apply the hack to your PhatBox so if that DMS ever fails you can replace it...

Offline bluejens

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 12:34:20 pm »
Okay I've done so. But something went wrong. Some patches failed. Here is window that appears at the wizard. I also attach the log file. Sorry  for being so long.

The DMS works, but after all I don't know wether my box is patched or not.  There is  a message that the hack already  had been applied. Maybe everything is fine?

Greetings

Jens

It would appear the patch failed on your PhatBox, please join the PhatHack Community forums [http://forum.phathack.com] and post the contents of the file PHTSYS/logfile.txt 

Code: [Select]
Patch 1 OK: Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Patch 2 OK: Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Patch 3 OK: Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Patch 4 OK: Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Patch 5 OK: Expected: 0000 13a0    Actual: 0000 13a0
Patch 6 Failed: Expected: 0000 e350    Actual: 0001 e350
Patch 7 Failed: Expected: 0000 03a0    Actual: 0001 03a0
Patch 8 Failed: Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 02db eb00
Patch 9 Failed: Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 02f7 eb00
The hack had already been applied.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:11:47 am by sbingner »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 12:11:17 am »
You just need to run the hack again - it doesn't always complete the first try.  keep running it until it completes.

Also, when you post logs please ATTACH them if they are that large - I removed all but the relevant information

Offline bluejens

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 08:56:52 am »
Sorry. I apologize.

Okay, I will run the patch again.

thx.

Jens

By the way: Great community here. I got tons of information about the phatbox. It's really great, since the official support is a disaster from my perspective.

So congratulations.

Greeting Jens

Offline bluejens

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 03:43:32 pm »
Okay, just wanna let you know, that the patch is complete.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again for your support. Now there is one project left: to run Phatnoise Music Manager on Vista. (I should use XP, but I just bought an iMac a few days ago with Leo and Vista via Bootcamp - just for my son to play games. I don't have a full XP licence, so it must be Vista.) But there are a couple of threads here about Vista migration. So I'll try it.

Greetings Jens