Author Topic: Original Hack vs new Windows Version  (Read 5833 times)

Offline kegger

• A few posts under my belt.
Original Hack vs new Windows Version
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:16:10 pm »
Just a question since the wiki web pages seem to be down (404 error).  Anyway, if you have a Keg with the original patch, do you need to perform the "Windows based DMS / Phatbox Hack (HackCD replacement thread)" step or will the new windows app do this?  Currently using a 120 gig hd, but considering moving to a 250 gig, but am unclear what the sequence should be for building the 250 gig.  Sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it, but I didn't find any specific info as to what I was looking for at this time.  Thanks for your help!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Original Hack vs new Windows Version
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:35 pm »
The windows tools should do everything you need, including putting on the LBA files required for drives > 120GB.

If you struggle to get the hack to run (read the enclosed documentation fully), you may need to run v2.11 - in which case let me know and I'll send them over to you.  (They are still experimental - but 1 person has verified they are okay)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:35:19 am »
Sorry, I'm doing some hardware changes and the wiki is on the server that is being modified... I moved the forums to keep them up but the wiki slipped my mind.

The Windows version isn't really a 'different hack' -- it's a pretty GUI interface to loading up the same thing the DOS hack tools loaded.  That said, it's probably better to use the windows version since it's much more fool-proof...  and you get a few extra features like loading up firmware files and applying kenwood SSA

Offline kegger

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:22 am »
Thanks for the info and the help.  If I decide to go forward with the 250 gig build and have problems, I will certainly follow your advice.  I'm sure glad that at least some type of support is still available to all of us who have a PB or a Keg :) !!  Thanks again.