Author Topic: befuddled newbie  (Read 5828 times)

Offline tlingit

befuddled newbie
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:53:24 pm »
My difficulties stem from a very poorly informed method of trying to hack the VW Phatbox, attributable to my imperfect understanding of the hack process.

I began by reading as much as I could on the Phathack site in preparation for the hack.  I chose to use the method created by Vortechs employing the Windows 2.10 version of the PhatHack tools.

Before doing the hack on my original DMS, however, I purchased an appropriate 2.5” Fujitsu drive (160gb) and the parts for “building” a Kenwood DMS.  I assembled the drive and the Kenwood parts and then downloaded Vortechs 2.10 hack software, installing it on a WinXP computer.  My plan was to create an entirely “new” DMS, rather than use the “swap” method in which one performs the hack on the ‘original’ DMS and then removes the old drive, exchanging it for a newer and larger capacity drive.  I guess I wanted to keep the original as pristine as possible in the event that things might go awry.

The first time I ran the version 2.10 hack, I used the newly built Kenwood parts and Fujitsu drive.  Instead of doing the hack with my original DMS, I skipped that essential step and went directly to “Create a New Drive” (as explained in the 2.10 documentation).  I thought—erroneously—that this would provide a workable DMS and, of course, it did not.  When I tried it in the car, it just gave me a “No CD” message.

I went back to the computer—still using the “new” DMS and tried to return it to an “unhacked” version.  Again, the results were disappointing and received the “No CD” message.  By this time, I realized that my next attempt would involve the original 20 gb DMS and I would follow the orthodox “hack” method.

It seemed to go well.  When I reached the stage where you insert the newly hacked DMS into the car, it yielded the “unlocked” message and then I was instructed to remove the DMS and resume the rest of the procedure at the computer.  It, too, completed without incident and I thought I had done something “right” for a change.  However, when I plugged the original newly hacked DMS into the Phatbox unit, I got the “NO CD” message.  This was remedied when I followed the instructions to disconnect the Phatbox from it’s connector in the car, wait a few minutes and then try again.  The original unit played just fine.

I tried the botched “new” DMS one more time in hopes that the newly hacked Phatbox might sense it’s presence, but it did not, giving the now familiar “NO CD” message.  I reinstalled the original unit and it remains functional, but I’m wondering if there’s some way to get the “new” DMS working so that I can take advantage of it’s larger size.

Both the original and the botched DMS’s show music content in the Phatnoise Music Manager/Media Manager and work fine on the computer.  It’s just a matter of getting the new DMS functioning in the car.

I will provide whatever logs you need, but as I’m not very proficient with these things, it may take a little coaching.  Apologies for the convoluted explanation of my situation.  I’m definitely a little over my head with these things.  Thanks for your patience…

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: befuddled newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 12:03:04 am »
Do you have music loaded on the "new" dms?

If not, use PMM to load some up... and see if it works now ;)  It sounds to me like you got everything done but just don't have anything to play off your new dms...

Oh, and thatnks for the good explanation of the problem... it seemed to be pretty good to me, and you actually figured out your problems as you went instead of asking for help at every minor hiccup ;)

Offline tlingit

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:45:57 am »
Just to be sure, I loaded new music onto the "new" DMS using the Phatnoise Media Manager and it confirmed that the songs had been added (and they appear on the playlist).  The new songs play just fine on the computer.  I will test it tomorrow in the car, but right now we're in the midst of a Northern Indiana snowstorm and I'm reluctant to stumble around in a dimly lit garage with single digit temps.  I'll post back tomorrow with the results.

Thanks for the quick reply and the reassuring words.  My first foray into strange territory--it's been fun, but pretty intimidating!  Many of the folks who frequent this forum are definitely light years ahead of me in terms of sophistication and computer expertise and its a great "learning opportunity" for a novice.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:13:26 am »
Other possibility is the order the 'firmware' was loaded onto the new DMS... if you can use the windows tools it is ideal, you'd want to quick-format your PHTSYS drive then reapply from there.  If not, you need to copy off everything from your PHTSYS, quick-format your PHTSYS then copy the files back in the following order:

1. linux
2. linux.sig
3. ramdisk
4. ramdisk.sig
5. rc.sh
6. rc.sig
7. Everything else

Offline tlingit

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 11:28:50 pm »
SUCCESS!  I tried the "new" DMS and, by golly, it works.  All I can say is a "big thanks" for the help.  The formatting and reinstallation of the files was not necessary, but I will keep the tip for future reference.  Thank you, again, and please let me know how I can donate to help further the work. 

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:31 am »
You can send donations to the PhatOS sourceforge project, or sam@bingner.com - please be sure to include your name so we can credit you in the donation list.  Also, please do not send credit card donations, as we do not have a business paypal account.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:06 am »
I think I'll modify the New DMS feature to create a default playlist with all the database files created correctly to help alleviate the 'did you load music on it' type issues so the new DMS can be tested without having to subject yourself to that _software_. ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)