Author Topic: Crash and Burn, now what?  (Read 6032 times)

Offline vcarangelo

Crash and Burn, now what?
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:14:16 am »
Newbie to this forum, but I've been using the Kenwood Music Keg for 4 years.  I upgraded my DMS to a 120GB drive (unfortunately, before I found this forum), then partitioned it using the RAWRITE utility I had found somewhere.  I copied back the contents of the PHTSYS partition I had taken from the original drive onto the new one, then started up PMM 2.30 and copied my music back onto it.  I tested it on my PC and found it played just fine, all my discs were intact as well as my full library.  However, before I tested the DMS on the Keg, I formatted the original drive and put it in my wife's laptop.  Of course, the problem is it won't play on the Keg (yes, I know how stupid that was).  I've found lots of references here about not formatting your original drive and how bad that is, and it seems the only remedy given is to send it back to Phatnoise.  I have to wonder if that's really the only remedy?  It seems to me that the Phathack tools for windows does a backup of files on the original drive before it puts the hack onto the drive..is there no one who has this backup and is willing to send me a copy?  Am I missing something (or many things)?

I appreciate any help you folks can offer.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Crash and Burn, now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:16:15 am »
Did you just format it, or did uyou repartition it as well?  If you repartitioned you're screwed and you just need to find somebody with a good DMS to patch your box for you

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:31:22 am »
To explain why you might be screwed: the original drive has a signature written into the first 1024 bytes which the PhatBox verifies when it starts up.  Until a box is patched to stop this verification an original drive is required in the PhatBox.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline vcarangelo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:09:16 pm »
Unfortunately, I did repartition and reformat.  So I take it no one has found a way to overcome this other than using another original DMS?  I guess my next question is: is there anyone out there who can help me out with an original DMS to patch my Keg?  I'm willing to barter (trade) for the favor...anyone interested?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:01:19 pm »
Yes, there is another way to do it - but it requires soldering on a serial port, and using linux on the computer connected to that serial port... I (as far as I know) am the only person to ever do it

Offline vcarangelo

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:41:05 pm »
OK, soldering is not a problem.  I assume you're referring to the port on the Keg, interfacing to a PC serial port running Linux?  I'm game if you are!  If you have a procedure I'd love to see it and give it a go.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »
http://wiki.phathack.com/Access_Serial_Port

the other trick is that you need a MAX232 or similar adaptor (to convert TTL voltage levels to RS232 levels on the serial line)

Offline vcarangelo

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:48:31 pm »
Thanks!  I'll look this over and let you know if I can/did tackle it....