Author Topic: Kenwood Keg hack  (Read 7255 times)

Offline jdmferio93

Kenwood Keg hack
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:32:07 pm »
i am new on this site so forgive me for asking a question that has already been asked before but the search engine keeps going back to main after i read a topic after searching.

i have a kenwood excelon keg and am fixing to get a new car. is there any way to patch in the kenwood keg to work in a 07 Si without changing the deck?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Kenwood Keg hack
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:44:54 pm »
What's an 07 Si?

Offline jdmferio93

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:13 pm »
07 civic Si

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:03:10 am »
Phatnoise did make boxes for Honda, but it's unclear if they will work with newer model head units.  At a minimum, you will need the correct cable to connect the Keg to a Honda radio (the Kenwood cable is for Kenwood radios, of course), and you would have to flash the firmware from Kenwood to Honda.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:47 pm »
No, current Honda headunits are not supported.   If you could find an adaptor to Kenwood Satellite Radio it would work, but you'll be better off just putting a Kenwood stereo in

Offline jdmferio93

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:43:45 pm »
this looks like the same plug that i believe is on the newer hondas

http://www.crutchfieldenespanol.com/crutchfield/enes/24/_www_crutchfield_com/S-wj1kkqNpMio/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?cc=07&i=469HONPCKW&search=disc

but i guess if there is no firmware then owell i guess i will put it in my beater

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 10:55:02 pm »
Yes, my '05 Honda Accord has the same protocol... I ALMOST got it working with a PIE HON03/PC-SON adaptor... but it's pretty annoying.   May work ok for you if you install the adaptor to Sony protocol right at the HU

Offline jdmferio93

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:22:55 am »
what is it not doing for you? is that the cable i was looking at? i don't know a whole lot about this i just really want it to go in my new car i am getting but i don't want to swap decks

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2206556&page=1

this is what the interior on these cars looks like i am kinda iffy about what they look like with an aftermarket kit. the plastic never looks the same

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 08:02:28 pm »
It only provides very basic and does not do SSA announcements (Sony doesn't support that) -- also mine would randomly cut off and start again, but that could have been a result of the long cable between HU and adaptor