Author Topic: I think I bricked my PhatBox  (Read 7028 times)

Offline GetBoosted84

I think I bricked my PhatBox
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:41:46 pm »
Hello,

I was trying to hack my phatbox and I think I really screwed up big time.  First I attempted to hack the phatbox and it failed on the last four items (patch.log listed below).  Then instead of hacking up the ramsig file I was stupid and I ran patchclean.bat on my original dms and then swapped the hard drive to a larger 80 gb one.  From there I ended up running newdms.bat and everything worked out nicely so then I installed the latest firmware files from here: http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/.

Now my phatbox does nothing but blink both lights for HOURS.

Since the new drive was not working out so well I tried swapping out the new hard drive with the original one (with the hack cleaned off it) and that yielded the same blinking lights for hours.

After that I tried to apply the hack again on the original drive and that yet again made the lights just blink for hours.

I have not attempted to load the later firmware on to the original dms drive then trying the hack but I guess that is the next thing I am going to have to try.

Also I cannot select the phatbox as an audio source at all on my head unit either.

Hack Attmpted on a 2001.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with a 20 gb DMS drive

PLEASE HELP!

bootload.log:
BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*-X: Failed

patch.log:
: No such file or directory
PhatPatch v0.8 - original code by bushing, additional patches by sbingner
Finding patch offsets:
Verified standard patch offsets
Verifying:
Patch 1 @ 0bb8: make drive signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Verified!
Patch 2 @ 0bec: make rc.sh signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 3 @ 0c20: make phatd signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 4 @ 0c54: make linux signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 5 @ 0354: make ramdisk invalid signature return 0 instead of 0xFFFFFFFF: [movlne r0, 0xFFFFFFFF -> movlne r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 13a0    Actual: 0000 13a0
Verified!
Patch 6 @ 0c80: make ramdisk signature check verify 0 instead of 1: [cmp r0, #1 -> cmp r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 e350    Actual: 0001 e350
Unverified!
Patch 7 @ 0358: make ramdisk valid signature return 0 instead of 1: [moveq r0, #1 -> moveq r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 03a0    Actual: 0001 03a0
Unverified!
Patch 8 @ 0330: don't try to read ramdisk.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 02db eb00
Unverified!
Patch 9 @ 02c0: don't try to read linux.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 02f7 eb00
Unverified!
Segmentation fault

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: I think I bricked my PhatBox
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:58:46 pm »
you will need to corrupt your ramdisk.sig to make it boot and finish the hack process..  thats why neither works.

it is pretty much impossible to ruin your phatbox.. the only thing you could run the risk of is screwing up your original DMS by re partitioning it and not using a proper tool to do it.

Offline GetBoosted84

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 01:21:42 am »
Thank you for the really quick reply.  I am going to try that out and I will post my results (hopefully solution  :) )

Offline GetBoosted84

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:38:04 am »
Well I retried the hack using the batch file hack and it failed again.  Well actually it failed to load the new DMS 80 drive.  The actual hack took place according to the log file.  With that said, I opted to scrap the idea of using the command line based hack and went with the more streamlined approach and used the Windows version (http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1291.0.html).

It worked great the first time!  Thanks again!  Love that I can now fit my whole library on to my mp3 player :)

Offline 16vpup

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 03:28:19 am »
I had the exact same boot log as you but where did you get the patch.log at? I don't think I got that at all, and I don't have anything stored in the log folder either. Did you run the windows based hack on a questionable magazine or an original unhacked magazine? I have a partially hacked 120GB magazine and a original 20GB VW magazine to work with but of course my objective is to get the 120GB magazine working in my Nissan. Any info you could offer I would appreciate.

Offline GetBoosted84

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 03:34:52 am »
I'm not sure which method you tried in order to hack the 120 gb drive but the way that I was able to hack my phatbox was by using the GUI tool and not the shell scripts.  My suggestion would be that you use the VW 20 gb drive to get the sys files off it (do NOT run the hack on this cartridge).  Then follow the on-screen instructions for the GUI hack and it will tell you when to prep your phatbox using the VW cartridge and then it will analyze the output and tell you how to continue.

So, try the windows based hack first then let us know how it goes.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:46:26 am »
That is the logfile output you will get anytime it completes up to the point of modifying the way it looks for ramdisk.sig... then crashes