Author Topic: 'Another program may be trying to Access the DMS" not ejecting  (Read 7019 times)

Offline giblets

'Another program may be trying to Access the DMS" not ejecting
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:03:59 am »
Hi all,
jsut put Music manager  2.3 on my vista PC (could not get media manager to work for love nor money!), and it seems to work ok, until i try to eject the DMS when it tells me another program is trying to access the DMS, possibly Norton, notepad, or other such program, tried closing my virus scanner, but nothing else should be accessing this, so will not eject the DMS.
any ideas ( have yet to see if this has totally messed up the DMS for my car now!)

Cheers
Any spelling mistakes/ grammatical errors are there purely to annoy

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: 'Another program may be trying to Access the DMS" not ejecting
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:46:34 am »
It won't mess anything up as long as whatever has a file open is not writing to the disk at the time.

Typically I find this problem exists when you have Windows explorer open, or if you run VMware which picks up the USB device.  You usually have to close VMWare down (not just the VM Image) to get it release the handles to the drive.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:59:10 am »
Your best bet when that happens is to just close PMM, then use the windows eject feature.  It has a much better chance of success in my experience.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:21:55 am »
And usually if that doesn't work the first time, it does the second time....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline giblets

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:12:03 pm »
Think I am going to give up, appears that despite the message, it did load up the DMS correctly, HOWEVER, now whenever i music manager starts and attempts to #update the dataabase' from the hard drive (not DMS), it just stops responding totally, so will not even have the chance to enter any settings or anything.

Seems to just not like one of the folders with music in, have moved that folder and the error seems to have sorted, though it does seem quite slow on the update, and seems to pause every time it gets a to a new folder.

Also.... getting a recurrent 'codebase error' in the phat noise files in a
data/dirs.dbf file?
file4seqReadAll or something...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:30:37 pm by giblets »
Any spelling mistakes/ grammatical errors are there purely to annoy

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:32:56 pm »
You could always try my program which should be writing DMS files properly (it has been for a few versions now).  I released a new version erlier this week that fixes all the issues I am aware of (all around Media Import) so it would be good to get some confirmation of how it goes with the DMS/PhatBox as I no longer have a car to put mine in.

http://www.phathackmm.com