Author Topic: copying mp3s back off dms?  (Read 6874 times)

Offline pow3rslave

• PhatHaX0r
copying mp3s back off dms?
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:12:41 am »
basically i had my whole mp3 hard drive (in my pc) die late last year, and there are some i have on my music keg i wouldn't mind having back, and to put on my ipod.
i have a diskhacked 80g kenwood music keg with viot, and i'm using win XP sp2 and phatnoise music manager 2.3

presently i've nav'd to /phtdata/albums/ and can see all my album folders in there, full of mp3s, so i ctrl+a to copy them off, but when i try that it says it cannot find file. if i select like 20 at a time it works, but that's a long and involved process for 900+ albums.

is there an easier way, or a restore tool to get them all back off the dms?

(i searched wiki and forums with some search terms, but couldn't find any info, so i apologise if this was covererd somewhere before)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: copying mp3s back off dms?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:43:04 am »
run a scandisk on the drive - that may fix it

Offline pow3rslave

• PhatHaX0r
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:22:29 am »
ok, i found which folder was causing the issue, it's a folder which claims to be 104 gb (on a 80 gb hdd  ???) and inside it looks like this:

(cropped, but you get the idea, there are actually 82 files in there)

it doesn't show as an album in music manager, and i tried just deleting it in windows but got "cannot delete (random ascii) the file syntax or voume label is incorrect.
i can't do a scandisk on the drive just now because i'm copyting everything else of it, but do you think this will help, if the copy goes well i could just do a wipe dms using music manager, but i can't remember if that kills VIOT

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:38:45 am »
If you can't fix it with a chkdsk/scandisk you'll need to do a format of your PHTDTA partition.  That's perfectly safe, nothing is stored there but data files.  No configuration or plugins etc

Offline pow3rslave

• PhatHaX0r
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:47:54 pm »
thanks heaps man, you've pretty much single handedly answered all my questions, i only have one more, if i can't fix  it with scandisk/chkdsk, and i have to format it, i assume a format through disk management would be fine (ie not using the pmm wipe tool)? do i have to format it to any file system, (i think xp only allows ntfs in volumes that big) or is all that matters that it's called phtdata

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:20:46 am »
It's fine if it lets you format it as FAT32... which I don't expect it will.  You can use http://phatos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/phatos/dmsutils/trunk/mkdosfs.exe to do it -- but make sure do a quick format (disable bad block checking) or it'll take forever

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:36 am »
I didn't think you could disable the bad block check with the windows port of mkdosfs (if so how)?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)