Author Topic: Help a Newbie Phatnoise Owner PLS!  (Read 7501 times)

Offline davieb

Help a Newbie Phatnoise Owner PLS!
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:20:23 pm »
Hi, I have just got myself a VW Phatnoise kit to install in my Bora. All the kit is here, I have installed the software, but my PC will not recognise the DMS when I put it in the cradle, and its not appearing in My Computer either.

I have been sitting here for the last 2 hours trying to get it to work to no avail ???. When I change the USB port the cradle is attached to Windows recognises it as new hardware, and then after about 90 secs gives me a message that "The New Hardware was not installed properly". I have downloaded and installed new drivers for it and still nothing. I am beginning to think its a dud DMS as its not picking up at all. I only get the red light on the cradle.

The cradle is a DMS-USB2 rev A, and the DMS is a DMS-020G rev B.

Any Help or pointers would be greatfully appreciated. Its not even installed in the car yet, Im just trying to get the music on it before I install at the weekend.

Offline davieb

Re: Help a Newbie Phatnoise Owner PLS!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:07:51 pm »
Update, I have tried the Phatnoise in the car and it works as far as recognising and configuring to my stereo and I can access all the welcome message and stuff, but I still cannot get my PC to recognise the DMS in the cradle. It shows up in device manager, but states code 10, this device will not start. Is it the DMS that is knackered??? I am going insane with this is there anyone out there that can help????

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
If the DMS works in the car, then it works.  That it doesn't work on your computer means something is wrong with your computer, or possibly with the USB cradle.

Error code 10 usually means a hardware/software conflict, and in my experience most often occur with cheap add-in USB cards.  If the USB cradle is plugged into an add-in USB adapter, or into the front of your computer, plug it instead directly into the back of the computer, and see what happens.  Also, if you have a bunch of stuff connected via USB, unplug as much as you can and try again.

Which version of Windows are you using?  Are your USB ports definitely USB2, and have you enabled USB2 in the BIOS?
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline davieb

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:43 am »
I have tried it in every USB port in the PC, front and back, and have unplugged everything else in the process. Will check that USB 2.0 is enabled, I dont have an issue with anything else like my IPod cradle but will try that. Thanks for the reply. :) Im using Windows XP.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:26:42 am by davieb »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »
If your iPod works on your computer, and you are able to add songs to it without hours passing, USB2 is most likely enabled.  XP would give you messages like "this device can perform faster" if it weren't.  But check anyway.

Since you've tried everything on your computer, and your other peripherals are working, I suggest trying the USB cradle and DMS on a friend's computer.  If it works, then you'll know it's something with your system.  If that is the problem, you can try a million different things, but in the end a clean XP install might be easier.  (This problem could also occur if your motherboard uses a SiS chipset instead of Intel or AMD.  Confirm your motherboard model, if you know.)

If it also doesn't work on another system, cast your suspicion on the cradle.  If it's the cradle, it could be fairly simple like poor DMS contact or the wrong (underpowered) power supply, or it could be a lemon.  When you insert the DMS in the cradle, the red light should come on solid and green light should flash indicating that the system is trying to access the drive.  Is yours doing that?

I really do not think the DMS is the problem.  At any point, though, if you want to eliminate the DMS HDD as the cause, if you happen to have an external 2.5" IDE HDD housing that you know works, you can open up the DMS, take out the drive and put it in the external case to check that XP sees it.  (It's not complicated, just pay attention to what you're doing so you know how it goes back together.)

Sorry for the lengthy post, but now I've covered everything you can try.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:18:45 pm »
If you are running Windows XP, then you do not need to use drivers for the cradle, and in my experience this is the cause of your problem.

Drivers are only needed on XP for the USB 1.1 cradles or for a non-XP operating system.

Remove the drivers completely, and make sure they are not cached (do a google search to get more details) and then re-connect the USB cradle.

XP should just load up the cradle without the need for 3rd party drivers.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline davieb

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 04:20:14 pm »
If your iPod works on your computer, and you are able to add songs to it without hours passing, USB2 is most likely enabled.  XP would give you messages like "this device can perform faster" if it weren't.  But check anyway.

Since you've tried everything on your computer, and your other peripherals are working, I suggest trying the USB cradle and DMS on a friend's computer.  If it works, then you'll know it's something with your system.  If that is the problem, you can try a million different things, but in the end a clean XP install might be easier.  (This problem could also occur if your motherboard uses a SiS chipset instead of Intel or AMD.  Confirm your motherboard model, if you know.)

If it also doesn't work on another system, cast your suspicion on the cradle.  If it's the cradle, it could be fairly simple like poor DMS contact or the wrong (underpowered) power supply, or it could be a lemon.  When you insert the DMS in the cradle, the red light should come on solid and green light should flash indicating that the system is trying to access the drive.  Is yours doing that?

I really do not think the DMS is the problem.  At any point, though, if you want to eliminate the DMS HDD as the cause, if you happen to have an external 2.5" IDE HDD housing that you know works, you can open up the DMS, take out the drive and put it in the external case to check that XP sees it.  (It's not complicated, just pay attention to what you're doing so you know how it goes back together.)

Sorry for the lengthy post, but now I've covered everything you can try.

Thanks for that, I really am beginning to think its the cradle, I get the red light but not even a flicker of a green light, you mentioned the power supply being underpowered, the cradles plug is not a solid 3 pin one, its a slide in adaptor to make it a 3 pin one, and the details on it say its a 9v output. Is this normal, and could this be causing the problem. What power output should it be, I would have thought more than 9v?

The DMS is working fine in the car, I have fitted the unit in and hooked it all up and I can access everything on the DMS that was on it from the factory. Just cant get any of my stuff on it.

Thanks for the help guys. I get the feeling this is an excellent bit of kit, but Im now getting frustrated with it.

Offline davieb

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 07:07:42 pm »
Have been in touch with seller I bought off and they are going to take it back and replace it. Definitely the cradle not working, have tried it on another pc and thats the same.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 09:27:31 pm »
Just to be sure, VorTechs' point is also valid -- don't install any drivers for the cradle on any XP system, because it doesn't need them.  But if you've ruled that out as well and the seller is willing to exchange the cradle, good deal.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:25:55 am »
Thanks for that, I really am beginning to think its the cradle, I get the red light but not even a flicker of a green light, you mentioned the power supply being underpowered, the cradles plug is not a solid 3 pin one, its a slide in adaptor to make it a 3 pin one, and the details on it say its a 9v output. Is this normal, and could this be causing the problem. What power output should it be, I would have thought more than 9v?
Just for completeness...

9V from the mains adaptor is fine, and the current required is not that high - certainly less than 1 amp  The drive in the DMS cartridge itself actually runs from 5 volts, but there is a regulator in the DMS cradle which steps down the voltage from the adaptor.

Offline davieb

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 01:09:26 pm »
I have just been and sent it back to the seller. Itried all of the above with no success. I have even tried the same setup on 2 more pcs and it still will not pick up the DMS in the cradle. Must be the cradle at fault. Have had to remove it all fom the car after installing it yesterday, grrrr! Hopefully will have it sorted out this week and be back up and running properly.

Thanks for all the replies and posts on this, much appreciated guys. :)

Offline davieb

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 01:19:18 pm »
Sorted!!!! It was a faulty cradle, the retailer has sent me a new one and all is well again. This is a great piece of kit, well impressed.

Thanks for all help and advice on this matter guys. 8)