Author Topic: Firmware flashback  (Read 5659 times)

Offline doma

Firmware flashback
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:15:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have just succesfully patched my Phatbox. Thanks for the great work!

However I do have a question, which I have found no answer for so far. The WIKI says that the code on power-up boot checks whether the firmare is newer in the firmware.pac than in the EEPROM and if it is newer it reflashes itself.

My question: Is it safe than to put a different original DMS (or a newly created bigger DMS with the original firmware on it) into the drive as the box may reflash itself with the non-hacked firmware and I am back to a locked PhatBox? Is there any protection against this built into the hack?

Thanks in advance,
Doma

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Firmware flashback
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:00:18 pm »
1. As long as there is not a "forceupdate" file found on the phtsys partition, a DMS will not initiate an update sequence on a box.
2. A firmware update will not "unhack" the hack -- but could cause other problems, particularly if you inadvertently update your box with firmware from a different system.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Firmware flashback
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:51:05 am »
1. As long as there is not a "forceupdate" file found on the phtsys partition, a DMS will not initiate an update sequence on a box.
UNLESS it has completely lost power, at which point it may.  But that's only relevant to the Headunit interface, has no bearing on what the patch did.  That will never change, ever.