Author Topic: Ghosted a DMS, now what?  (Read 5023 times)

Offline solidus

Ghosted a DMS, now what?
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:44 pm »
I see this is a great forum for getting PhatNoise problems discussed. Maybe one of you guys can help me out.

I wanted to make a duplicate DMS cartridge to use in another car, so I ghosted the original 20GB HD to a 30GB notebook hd to be used in another car. When I tried the ghosted unit, it wasn't working in either cars. Could anyone tell me what I need to do to make the car unit recognize the new HD?

Both systems are in Audis, one I believe is a Symphony the other is a Symphony II unit. The later is the one I need to use the new HD in. I appreciate any help you can give.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Ghosted a DMS, now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »
You have to hack the unit to accept the new DMS using our hack tools.
Ghosting does not clone the disk correctly so that the units operate as the disk serial number or some other special signature is written in the first 1MB of the disk, and the units verify this matches the disk on boot and will fail if not.

Hacking the units removes this checks so any disk can be used in the DMS.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline solidus

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:50:20 pm »
Thanks for the quick post, VorTechS.

I am a little confused... just to be sure, are you referring that the car unit to be flashed or would the tool  just write that 1MB "info track" from the original to the new HD? My hunch is the former, but want to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:57:36 pm by solidus »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:24:12 am »
You should hack both boxes in case the original DMS goes bad (more frequent than you might think), for which you need to use the original (working) DMS.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline solidus

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:38:16 am »
That's a good point, thanks. I downloaded the software and now have to look into it. Hope it will work out. Should I update the firmware to 7.02 first and get it hacked after?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:48:45 am »
No, if the original DMS is working - hack first then update firmware after.