Author Topic: Please help, before I chuck this mess.  (Read 5138 times)

Offline outkasted1

• PhatHacker
Please help, before I chuck this mess.
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:57:39 pm »
Well my old phatbox died on me because it got wet (long story, leaky sunroof). So I ordered a new unit. Pop it in, used my original DMS and it worked. Now here is the timeline without times of what happened after and now I am done messing with this for the day.

1. Tried the 100gb which worked in the old box and didnt work in this. I realized, duh, I need to patch.
2. Use the windows based tools to create a patch on the original DMS and here the "successfully patched" and started playing my music.
3. 100gb still dont work, drive loads, and a slow green light steady flash.
4. Original DMS no longer works
5. I then load the Linux based tool to do the dms thing that I did originally since I was familiar with it.
6. That tool says my original DMS isnt an original dms and go into the alt f4 optionand type something. Typed said command, tool finds corrupt partitions, and formats drive. Go to run the tool again and it still says bad partitions.
7. Go back into Windows version and create new DMS, throw the 100gb in there and it formats, everything appears fine. Throw a few songs on it, nothing on the head unit. I get a CD-X and then it refuses to find the phatbox at all anytime after this step.
8. Use the hack wizard again on the original dms, phatbox never patched, again slow steady flash. Head unit not finding system.

I have tried a few other things by doing the patch on the 100gb, and a different cable to the box, all results end up being the same. I have also tried different versions of VW patches but nothing will patch now.

So now I am afraid I have just bricked my new phatbox which leaves me with 2 useless hard drives, 2 bricked phatboxes, and a nice chunk of money gone. So can someone please help me out and save the day or am I just SOL?

All this is with a VW Phatbox unit.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Please help, before I chuck this mess.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:30 pm »
Grab a copy of the RC pairs here:

http://downloads.phathack.com/bushing/rc_pairs.zip

..and install the level 10 version (backup the existing files first) on the DMS that doesn't work.

A log file will be generated (I think it's logfile.txt) in PHTSYS.
ATTACH it, and someone will take a look.

For information:  There is a bug in the Windows Tools (v10) where you need to run the New DMS process twice on disks that have no PHTSYS/PHTDTA partitions on.  It's resolved in the next version of the tools.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Please help, before I chuck this mess.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:17:36 am »
There wouldnt be a log file generated it you're just getting blinky lights unless it's just updating your firmware.  When you put it in, did you give it enough time in case it is updating your firmware?

You need a bootload.log on your PHTSYS partition, you should be able to create that by copying currentsetup.xml and renaming it to bootload.log - see what that says.  After using the linux tools to format, you should use "load firmware" rather than "create dms" in the windows tools to load your firmware.  Once you have done that you need to open PMM and load some music onto it.