Author Topic: Keg hacked - Unable to get music to play from new drive  (Read 4770 times)

Offline JBabey

Keg hacked - Unable to get music to play from new drive
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:24:59 am »
 :-\

I had an extremely difficult time getting the hack to run initially on the Kenwood Music Keg, after some disgruntled days, VortechS let me test the 2.11 alpha revision so I could use the new hack wizard (playlist style). It worked flawlessly and I was very excited to have my Keg hacked and ready for a new drive.

I pulled an old 20 gig drive from a deceased laptop and partitioned a new DMS drive using the 2.10 tools with the Kenwood 13.01 firmware (hacked). Phathack Media Manager AND PMM 3.92 both recognize the drive fine, both are able to move music onto the drive and create playlists etc.

When inserting into the KEG my headunit reads the Keg as CD CHNG, and then flashes AUX EXT. no audio. The lights on the KEG are solid red... slow blinking green, then RAPID blinking green (still solid red).

When I pull the cable to the KEG with the drive out and wait a few minutes and plug it back in with no drive, again I get CD CHNG, and then AUX EXT, no lights at all on the KEG.

I turn the car off, insert the drive, turn the car on and set the head unit to the ....... CD CHNG/AUX EXT... the lights on the KEG are solid RED, slow blinking gree, rapid blinking green (still solid red).

I uninstalled 2.10, installed alpha 2.11 and recreated the drive........ same exact results.

I uninstalled 2.11 as that did not solve the issue and redid it all in 2.10..........same exact results

I followed instruction in a forum thread a few pages in and deleted everything on the SYS partition, and manually loaded the firmware on starting with Linux - Ramdisk - Linux.sig - Ramdisk.sig and then the rest of the firmware files. same results

I checked to see if the drive was set master or what-not, and it is indeed set master. I am at a loss as to which step to take next to get my replacement drive up and running. The stock drive is working just fine, and has since been put in a static bag for safe keeping.

uh.... help! LoL

Its getting late, but i created a blank log file and inserted the cartridge and came back to eat dinner. After dinner I started the car up and it read EXT HDD (thats proper). The audio kicked on and repeated "EMPTY DISC" to me over and over again. There are 2 playlists/media/folders/music whatever i put on there in Media Manager and the Both media managers read them fine and play.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Keg hacked - Unable to get music to play from new drive
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:21:36 am »
When you used the tools to create the New DMS what options did you choose?  My guess is, you selected the option 'Reflash box' meaning the box is doing a firmware update.

Assuming your Keg was already on 13.01 of the firmware, you shouldn't choose the options 'Reflash box', nor 'Install non-hacked firmware'.

Re-run the 'New DMS' process using v2.11 of the tools (you'll benefit from some extra fixes ;)) ensuring you don't select those options and things will probably work out fine.

If this doesn't then work, we can use the RC pairs to work out what's up.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline JBabey

Re: Keg hacked - Unable to get music to play from new drive
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »
I did that and nothing happened, I pulled the plug and waited a few minutes, put the drive back in and it all worked. Silly of me to read all those threads and have still checked the "reflash firmware" box.

Thank you so much, your the best!

~ J