Author Topic: using a VW phatbox with a Kenwood Head unit?  (Read 7192 times)

Offline apteet

using a VW phatbox with a Kenwood Head unit?
« on: April 19, 2008, 04:58:10 pm »
I am new to the forum and have just bought a VW phatnoise unit which I want to connect to my Kenwood Head unit.
Apart from the cable, is it just the firmware I need to update?
Is the firmware updated in the phatnoise box, the DMS, or both?
thanks.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: using a VW phatbox with a Kenwood Head unit?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:04:32 pm »
Yup, you are right the cable and firmware are all you need to change.

The firmware is updated on the PhatBox via the DMS.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline apteet

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:50:19 am »
Great, thanks.
I already have a Kenwood music keg system, If I inserted the Kenwood DMS into the VW phatbox, would this update the firmware from VW to Kenwood automatically?
Or does the DMS itself need any sort of update?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:23:13 am by apteet »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:58:32 am »
No, the Kenwood DMS will not automatically update the firmware on the VW phatbox to work with your Kenwood radio.

You need to download VorTechS' Windows DMS Hack Tools found on this site.  Update the VW DMS with the 13.01 Kenwood firmware (non-hacked option for now, unless/until you hack your VW box), with the option checked to reflash the phatbox with the new firmware.  When that completes, follow the instructions in your phatbox manual to update the firmware in your car.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline apteet

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:38:58 am »
Ok, so I won't do any damage by connecting the VW box to my Kenwood Head unit, inserting the Flashed DMS and turning the Head unit on to let it flash the VW box?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:08 am »
Nope the PhatBox is pretty well protected against flashing issues, so if you flash it with the wrong firmware, you can simply change it afterwards.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:44:46 pm »
You don't need to turn on the head unit to have it flash... you can wait until the reflash process completes to turn on the head unit, which is PhatNoise's reccomended procedure

Offline apteet

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:57:15 pm »
Does the VW system have the voice index system? (the same as on my Kenwood music keg)
If not, can it be put on there as a firmware update?
If I reflash my Kenwood keg and Kenwood DMS to the VW firmware will I lose the voice index on it?

Maybe I should start again, I have just bought a VW Phatbox with 20Gb DMS, can I hook this up to my Kenwood HU, upgrade the firmware on the 20Gb DMS and Phatbox to Kenwoods, and still get the voice announcement when i change folders?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:18:48 pm by apteet »

Offline JBabey

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »
Does the VW system have the voice index system? (the same as on my Kenwood music keg)
If not, can it be put on there as a firmware update?
If I reflash my Kenwood keg and Kenwood DMS to the VW firmware will I lose the voice index on it?

Maybe I should start again, I have just bought a VW Phatbox with 20Gb DMS, can I hook this up to my Kenwood HU, upgrade the firmware on the 20Gb DMS and Phatbox to Kenwoods, and still get the voice announcement when i change folders?

Yes you will, the voice prompts are controlled in the firmware not the unit. Additionally, you can force the first track of your playlists to point to a .wav of the playlist name regardless of the firmware. Do a google search for a program called PhatVoice (generates voice prompts) or use VortechS own Phathack Media Manager and check off the box to force first track in playlist to play the voice clip. Enjoy!