Author Topic: New Phatnoise Questions  (Read 4357 times)

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
New Phatnoise Questions
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:34:17 am »
Here is my story….. and the questions which will follow.

After loads of searching on e-bay (UK) I finally purchased my PhatNoise box, but unfortunately it had no DMS. I had been searching VW forums as well as the usual Phat sites and I found a Guy in the UK who had a DMS he was willing to sell (20 gig).

Now here are the Questions before I install the box into the 2007 VW Golf.

1.   Do I need the actual DMS which the PhatNoise came with in order to get me up and running?
2.   Not sure if the DMS is a Kenwood or PhatNoise….. Is there a difference between them?
3.   I have tried to contact the seller of the PhatNoise box to see if any software mods were done, waiting for a reply.

Would you attempt to install the Phatnoise in the car knowing that I do not have the original DMS or is this not a big problem?

I am a newbee to the Phatnoise Experience and can not wait to get this thing installed in my car! I will continue to search the site for recommendations.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: New Phatnoise Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:51:27 pm »
Hi,

1.   Do I need the actual DMS which the PhatNoise came with in order to get me up and running?

No - DMS cartridges can be moved around between boxes.  But if the Phatbox has not yet been hacked (your third question) then you need an original DMS from Phatnoise in order to get started rather than one that has had a non original hard disk fitted (or borrow one, or get someone to hack the Phatbox so you can use any suitable drive).

2.   Not sure if the DMS is a Kenwood or PhatNoise….. Is there a difference between them?

No material difference.  They are standard laptop style hard disks inside.  You will need to put appropriate firmware onto the DMS to suit the head-unit (radio) in your car.

3.   I have tried to contact the seller of the PhatNoise box to see if any software mods were done, waiting for a reply.

Either way, you should be able to get things going.  Life will be made easier if the box was already hacked to allow non-original DMS drives to be used.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:54:18 pm by S80_UK »

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:19:29 pm »
No - DMS cartridges can be moved around between boxes.  But if the Phatbox has not yet been hacked (your third question) then you need an original DMS from Phatnoise in order to get started rather than one that has had a non original hard disk fitted (or borrow one, or get someone to hack the Phatbox so you can use any suitable drive).

I have a VW PhatNoise and I purchased an Original, but it is a Kenwood, DMS. So I assume from your reply I will need an original DMS (Phatnoise). Is this true? 

Thanks for the speedy reply.

illingworth22

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:11:23 am »
See the reply to the same question in your other post.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:06 pm »
Meaning that a Kenwood DMS will work fine if you put the correct firmware on it.  The only other difference being the printing on the top / label underneath.