Author Topic: Question about upgrading from old old PMM 1.87 to PMM 3.96  (Read 5361 times)

Offline HDClown

I downloaded Media Manager 3.92 and installed it on Vista Ultimate x64.  Works fine, but it's trial, and limited TTS (MS Anna only).  Been reading about needing to install Media Manager 3.76 with the hacked ATT Natural .MSI to get the ATT TTS voices working in Vista.

I found the original install CD of Music Manager 1.87.  This is so old it's before Vista even existed, but it also means no trial issues, right?  Does anyone know if Music Manager 1.87 wll install on Vista OK?  And then can I upgrade to Media Manager 3.76/3.92 and not have the trial issues I'm running into now?

Offline HDClown

Re: Question about upgrading from old old PMM 1.87 to PMM 3.96
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39:22 am »
Bit the bullet and tried this myself.

Machine being used: Windows Vista Ultimate, 64bit, Service Pack 1

I uninstalled ALL Phatnoise software, rebooted

Installed Phatnoise Music Manager 1.87 from CD.  When it got to the "installing additional software", I overwrite the existing AT&T Natual Voices .msi in C:\Program Files (x86)\PhatNoise Music Manager with the hacked on I found on the forum.  This allowed Natural Voices to install under VIsta.  Then I rebooted after install

I then when through a continual  update process.  Next I installed Music Manager 2.30.  This performed an upgrade and it noted this in the installer, then rebooted.  Then I did Media Manager 3.76.  This installed side-by-side with Music Manager as opposed to doing an upgrade, but it did retain my registration key and use of AT&T Natural Voices.  I had to modify the registry and add the Reg_Status key and set to 2.  Lastly I installed Media Manager 3.92 and rebooted, and that's where I'm at today.

If I were to do it again, I'd go straight from Music Manager 1.87 from my CD, to Media Manager 3.92.  I see no reason to do the incremental upgrades.

I had to make NO changes for application compatibility on PMM.EXE.  Everything works flawlessly.  I have the USB2 cradle and I needed no drivers.  Copy speed seems to be pretty decent overall.