Author Topic: OK Getting there  (Read 8150 times)

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
OK Getting there
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:42:54 pm »
Right after the Install this is where I am right now.

I Turn on ignition with DMS inserted into PhatNoise unit and the following happens:-
Disk Spins - Red Light comes on - Then Green Light comes on - Green Light goes off - Green Light flashes twice and goes out - Red Light stays on.

I then launch the original PhatNoise program which came with the unit (not sure which version). Anyway I checked the DMS to see what Firmware was installed and I got the following
Firmware Setup - Current Setup - Kenwood Brand Stereo Version 11.05

PhatNoise Car Product - Installed Product: PhatNoise Car Audio System VW?Audi Edition.

My question is this what are my (best) next steps?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: OK Getting there
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:35:41 am »
Silly question, next steps for what ... what are you trying to achieve?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline illingworth22

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:32:03 am »
Well the reason I asked for the next step was that the PhatNoise dose not boot. Would I be right in thinking I now need to Run the "Hack Wizard" and hack the box with the Kenwood DMS, then Install the hack onto the box? Or do I Create New DMS/Update Firmware? This was why I asked the question about the compatability between the Kenwood DMS and the VW DMS, I wanted to know how the Phatnoise knows the difference between both DMS's, if this is some file on the Disc I didn't want to overwright it by doing the wrong thing!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:58:02 am »
Right sorry.... so many threads flying around, I got confused...I thought you had two Kegs, I didn't realise there was a VW DMS in the equation.

You need to know which version of the firmware is on the Keg you are trying to hack and then 'Update' firmware on the DMS you want to use to apply the hack to this version and verify that it then starts up okay in the Keg you want to hack.

So, using the DMS that DOES work in the Keg you want to hack, have a look at what firmware is on there.
Then go into the tools, select 'Create New DMS' in the top toolbar, then select this version of firmware, select 'Install Non-hacked firmware' and ensure 'Reflash box' is unticked, and finally click on 'Update' firmware.

DO NOT try to apply the hack at the same time as this might confuse things.

Once the firmware is updated, try the DMS in the Keg and hopefully it'll boot up fine and start playing whatever music you have on it.  Of course, you need to make sure it does have some music on it too, as this will help verify if it boots okay! ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline illingworth22

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:45:59 am »
Now I am really confused...

My first post was this is there any particular difference between an Original VW Branded PhatNoise DMS and a Kenwood DMS?

The answer I got to this was that they (assuming both were originally supplied DMS's) are both the same and either would work in both Kegs.

Ricght I thought I am OK to install the VW Keg I have and it should work OK with the only DMS I have, which is the Kenwood DMS.

Now after the Install yesterday I got the following on the Keg. Disk Spins - Red Light comes on - Then Green Light comes on - Green Light goes off - Green Light flashes twice and goes out - Red Light stays on. If I press CD on the Stereo nothing happens. Again I am not sure if this is normal there is a fault on one of the two items.

Now the questions are these.... Do I Run Phat Hack DMS tools  and then Run the Hack Wizard? Run tha same program and Create New DMS/Update firmware? or do somthing completly different? When I run the DMS Tools do I need to be connected to the internet? I have laptop in at work with no tinternet!

I keep hoping this will be the final post ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:26:16 pm by illingworth22 »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:36:13 pm »
Hehe, okay.... I guess if we'd bothered to be more precise in our postings we might have got to the bottom of it sooner.

From your original posts I read it, that you had 2 Kenwood Kegs - I never recall seeing anything about a VW PhatBox... but I was probably skimming the posts.

You can use any DMS in any box, providing it contains the same firmware as installed on the box.  The firmware, is related to the head unit and not the box.  So you could use a Toyota box in a VW with standard factory head unit, as long as the Toyota box has the VW firmware installed on it (and obviously you have the right cabling).

So given that, if your VW box is installed in a VW using a VW head unit then you need to update the DMS to use the VW firmware matching that installed on the VW box.  Then apply the hack.

If your VW box, is connected to a Kenwood head unit then the DMS you are using to hack needs to have the Kenwood firmware on it - and so on.

The key thing is to match the correct versions of firmware and then apply the hack.  Don't try both at the same time, as it'll be simpler.

In terms of the tools, you do need Internet connectivity as it downloads our firmware table and the firmware files to install on the DMS.

We'll get there in the end, especially if you spell things out in big capital letters (and assuming I read things right).... ;)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:09:11 pm »
He is installing into a VW Golf, VW Phatbox, VW RNS500 SatNav head unit.

Illingworth, it would help if you kept everything to one thread.

I told you about two weeks ago you need to change the firmware on the Kenwood-branded DMS from Kenwood to VW.  From this latest post, it is apparent your DMS still has the Kenwood firmware on it, and that is why it is not working with your VW head unit.

Now:
1. Run DMS Hack Tools
2. Select Create new DMS/Update firmware
3. Select latest version of VW firmware (7.02)
4. Check "install non-hacked firmware"
5. Click "update DMS"

When finished, try it in the Phatbox, it should work.  If for some reason it doesn't work, or is fussy, you might need to update the firmware in the Phatbox itself -- but let's not do that right now until we know we have to.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline illingworth22

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »
THe proble here was I was trying to preemp the install and I aske loads of questions. I now have done exacly what Mark has just suggested. Now when I put the Disc into the Paht I can not access the CD on the Radio and the Red LED stays onn constant with the Green flashing intermittently. Do I leave the radio and ignition on for 10 mins in order to load the new firmware?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:55:42 pm »
Depends.  When you ran the Hack Tools, did you check the option to reflash the box with firmware?

Offline illingworth22

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:29:42 pm »
I ran the DMS tools and went to the "Update Firmware" then ticked the box "Install Non Hacked firmware" as my box has yet to be flashed. The box "Reflash box with firmware" was automaticly ticked I think. I Selected VW 7.02 from drop down menu. The tools then downloaded the zip files from the web and installed them on the DMS (Green light on USB Hub flickerd so I assumed DMS was re flashed.)

Now I inserted the DMS into the KEG and switched on the ignition and then on with the radio, the Red LED came on then the green one flickered on several times. Now I have tried this twiceonce turning off the ignittion as suggested in the manual and another with leaving on the ignition for 10 to 15 mins. All I get on the Phat is a Red light on constant and a Green light flickering intermittently.

I don't think (well I havn't put one on) put on a playlist. One thing I have noticed if I switch off ignition (as suggesst in manual) after a few moments both lights on the keg go off. Putting Playlist on at I type!!!!

Dose this look promising?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:31:00 pm by illingworth22 »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:04:01 pm »
Eh, you should have unchecked the reflash box option, because reflashing might not have been necessary. 

(Oi, Stuart, why does the "reflash box with firmware" option automatically engage if one selects the non-hacked firmware option?)

Anyway, I think your box has been updated, but you do need to have some music on the DMS for it to do anything.

Take it back to your computer and load up some music and create a few playlists.  Before you save/eject, open up the phtsys in explorer.  If you see the file "forceupdate," delete it.  Then save/eject, and put the DMS back in the car.  It should work.

Offline illingworth22

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
OK Got there......
Seriously a BIG THANKS to both Mark for his quick and somtimes sharp reply and an even bigger thanks to Vortex (Stuart) for all your help.

So should I start a new post on how to re flash the Keg.....? ;)

I22

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 06:33:14 am »
Haha, glad you got it working - however, one thing you do need to remember for future reference.

A Keg != (does not equal) PhatBox.  (As such)

The Keg is the Kenwood version of the PhatBox, so when you talk of Keg I (and no doubt others) automatically think of Kenwood firmware - hence why I was getting confused. 

A VW Phatbox = PhatBox.

@Mark:

I don't know, probably because that's the way I coded it? ;) 
Actually I do know.

I figured that most people installing the non-hacked firmware was likely doing so to do a firmware upgrade and therefore requiring a re-flash of the box.

I'd also like to point out that in an earlier post I did write:

So, using the DMS that DOES work in the Keg you want to hack, have a look at what firmware is on there.
Then go into the tools, select 'Create New DMS' in the top toolbar, then select this version of firmware, select 'Install Non-hacked firmware' and ensure 'Reflash box' is unticked, and finally click on 'Update' firmware.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:35:35 am by VorTechS »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 11:03:27 am »
Oi, Stuart, why does the "reflash box with firmware" option automatically engage if one selects the non-hacked firmware option?

I think whined about that too -- I think he removed it in the new version?

The "hacked vs non-hacked" firmware isn't really any change on the firmware... just a change on the system files, so I'd not be surprised if people wanted to switch back and forth without changing the head-unit code...

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 11:43:45 am »
Did I change it?  Let me have a look....

Nope, still does it by default.... ;D