Author Topic: Partitions and playlists  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Alaric

Partitions and playlists
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:35 am »
Hi Guys,

I have sucessfuly hacked my box, A kenwood music keg and upgraded the hard drive, technicaly its a 250gig, but shows as a 128 & 60ish, as i'm still running on a usb 1.1 cradle and not 2.0 - Still its a fair bit better than my 10gig or my 20gig and i've fitted most of my music collection onto it....Also got the SSA stuff and just found artist and genre browsing which is pretty cool.

However i have a few Q's

1.) Is there any use for the 60ish gig partition, it seems to store a bit of data, but not music, can you actualy utalise it or is it dead space ?

2.) Playlists, can you dynamicaly link playlists - Ie i have most of my albums on the HD, but it would be nice to create a playlist of favorite tracks without having two copies of the music physicaly on the drive !

Thanks,
           Lee

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Partitions and playlists
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:49:53 am »
I think you might want to check those partitions again.  Your "60ish" partition (presumably phtsys) should be 60MB, not 60GB.  The phtdta partition probably shows as 128GB because of the limitations of USB 1.1 specifications.  This may be just as well for now, because if you try to use a fully formatted 250GB drive on a USB 2 cradle, you run into all kinds of issues (search the forums).

Concerning your second question, if I understand it, it is not necessary to have redundant tracks on the DMS.  Once a track is copied from your computer to the DMS, and stored in the DMS database, even if you make numerous playlists with the same tracks, the files will not be re-copied/duplicated, unless you have meanwhile changed the track name, or the location of the track.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS