Author Topic: I've STF, and need help. PMM 2.30 can't read my FLAC tags!  (Read 5095 times)

Offline dbanning

I've STF, and need help. PMM 2.30 can't read my FLAC tags!
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:24:50 am »
It always comes up with "Unknown Artist, Unknown Album, and Unknown Genre", but gets the song titles correct.  I've verified that the FLAC files have valid tags bu reading them in several other applications.  Does anyone know why PMM can't/doesn't read the tags?  TIA!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: I've STF, and need help. PMM 2.30 can't read my FLAC tags!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:42:06 am »
The likely answer is that the tag versions you are using post date those supported by PMM and it can't correctly read the tags according to the offsets that the new tags are being stored at.

The only way to make this work I suspect is to use an older version of your tagging library that supports very old FLAC tagging.  Or, consider switching to PhatHack MM when the next version is released (looking at this week potentially)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: I've STF, and need help. PMM 2.30 can't read my FLAC tags!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:51:54 pm »
No problem with FLAC tags here...

@dbanning:  What tools are you using to tag the files?  Are they FLAC tags or ID3 tags? 

I encode with the latest FLAC (1.2.1) and then re-code with dBpoweramp to strip out stuff related to some newer tags that clogs things up with some players. Then I add seek points (since dBpoweramp doesn't add them back in) using metaflac and the --add-seekpoint command in a batch file.  It's a little long winded but very effective.  Quite a few people find that FLAC encoders later than around 1.1.3 break things with some decoder implementations (although that is not FLAC's fault).  I find the method I use fixes things quite well.

Offline dbanning

Thanks for the replies, guys!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 02:45:31 am »
I will try the PhatHack PMM first to see if that solves the problem.  I am currently encoding using EAC with the latest FLAC plugin, so I assume that they are FLAC tags.  I can read and rename the tags no problem with Tag & Rename, and the media (VLC, Winamp, etc.) players have no problem reading the tags either.