Author Topic: PhatNoise VW insulation from engine noise  (Read 4155 times)

Offline figurefive

• A few posts under my belt.
  • It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
PhatNoise VW insulation from engine noise
« on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:04 am »
I heard there was a lot of discussion on the now defunct PhatNoise forums about the metal case of the VW version causing interference that results in engine noise in the sound system matching the RPMs.  Never happened with the changer 'cause it had a plastic body.

Anyone experienced and solved this?  If so how?

I detached both the mounting plates and completely wrapped them in a layer of electrical tape, but I can't get rid of the engine noise.  There is also a noticeable (during quiet songs) click when I step on or release the brakes and when I hit the turn signal.

Offline dvg

Re: PhatNoise VW insulation from engine noise
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:45:22 pm »
What I did to cure the noise issue (as well as the click) was to

1) Buy a clamp on noise filter from radioshack ( the exact name of which I can't remember right now)

2) Jam all the extra cable between the unit and the side wall facing the trunk.  If you  put it on the other side the cable falls down into the area that contains the wiring harness for the car (which is where your clicking noise is coming from.

Dan

Offline figurefive

• A few posts under my belt.
  • It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 08:40:45 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try.  For now the unit is just sitting on the floor of the trunk.  I was thinking of strapping it to the roof of the trunk, but I'd much rather get it working properly in the designed location.

Interestingly, the noise doesn't kick in until the car has been running for a few minutes.  I tried tapping the ground wire on the PhatBox cable to provide an additional ground lcoation, but that didn't work either.  I've never come across any car stereo equipment that was this stubborn.

Offline jamesandruth

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 01:58:55 am »
I heard there was a lot of discussion on the now defunct PhatNoise forums about the metal case of the VW version causing interference that results in engine noise in the sound system matching the RPMs.  Never happened with the changer 'cause it had a plastic body.

Anyone experienced and solved this?  If so how?

I detached both the mounting plates and completely wrapped them in a layer of electrical tape, but I can't get rid of the engine noise.  There is also a noticeable (during quiet songs) click when I step on or release the brakes and when I hit the turn signal.

I asked phatnoise support about this:
During quiet passages, I can hear a buzzing sound the frequency of which
is related to the RPM of the motor. I had read in the forums that RF
chokes had helped some folks, but now that I have the chokes, the forums
are gone, and I don't know where I should install them for best effect.

The car I have is a 2003 Golf TDI (diesel) and I have done the "Wilkins
Install," which involves mounting the phatbox on a 14" circular board
and placing it inside the spare tire.

and got this reply:

Thank you for using the PhatNoise Car Audio System! The alternator whine
is due to a grounding issue in the CD changer cable. Please remove the
PhatBox from the chassis of the car so it is not in contact with any
metal and see if the problem persists.

You may also have your installer run another ground wire from the back
of the head unit.

I've bought some RF Chokes from Radio Shack and I'll see how they work.

I know it's not ignition noise, because I don't have spark plugs!  Also, the way I have it installed, there is no contact with the metal in the car, so it isn't that.  The ground wire sounds like the silver bullet, but seems hard to do and my "installer" isn't that adept (me).

Offline dvg

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:20:01 am »

Like I posted before, try to keep the cable as far away as possible from the wiring harness running below.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:20:48 am by dvg »