Author Topic: Can anyone sell me a 80gb or 120gb DMS (Working and new if poss)??  (Read 6792 times)

Offline sspeed

I bought my Phatbox about 10 months ago from a VW dealer and it was sealed and so definately new and legit !!
I ran the 2.12dms hack tool and it reconed my DMS was not original !! I now have a phatbox that doesnt work..
I want to upgrade the standard 40GB DMS to something bigger all because I started to re-record / store my entire music collect using the "FLAC" file system as opposed to the 320kbps MP3 I had been using..
I have to say at this moment in time I wish I had left it all alone as it was working fine !
So it looks like I shall be watching this forum closely as I search the internet to buy a 80 or 120GB DMS thats allready done!
I know some smart people out there have succesfully hacked there "boxes" but I havent..
So I shall opt for the easy way out and simply buy one ready done or even a new DMS from America if I have to..

Help Please

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Can anyone sell me a 80gb or 120gb DMS (Working and new if poss)??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:35:29 pm »
If your phatbox was working before, what makes you think it's not working now?  As far as I can tell from your post, you haven't managed to change anything with the box or the DMS, so they should still be working as they were before.  Did you confirm it's not working by putting it back in your car?

As for the DMS, there are two possibilities:
1. The hack tool is wrong, in which case your DMS is genuine, and it's still possible to hack your phatbox, somehow.
2. The hack tool is right, in which case your DMS is not genuine, which could only mean your phatbox is already hacked.

Let's wait for VorTechS to pick up this thread and see what he suggests.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sspeed

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:26:39 am »
Hi Mark,
Errrr I think its not working now cos when I turn the unit on I get the message "No CD"..
I have tried the method of formatting the "PHTSYS" and using the tools in the 2.12 hack tool to ..
I have simplified (hopefully) the DMS cartridge by only having about a dozen token songs instead of thousands..
So as I say the Phatbox doesn't see the DMS so I am prepared to simply buy a DMS..
My other option is.. Does anyone live fairly locally to me (Stalmine... Near Blackpool) say within 100 miles who is willing to do the Hack for me???
I am off work this week so I am reasonably free to come and be shown the black art of Hacking..
I am willing to pay for a successful hack.

Lastly in the event of me ever having a successful Hack, is there a certain model/size/spec of hard drive that stands out as "The one to go for" ??

Thanks in anticipation for any help..

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:22 am »
OK, but what did you do before the DMS stopped working?  Did you run the hack wizard anyway, even after the tools warned that your DMS seems not to be genuine?  At what point did you put the DMS back in the box and determine it wasn't working?

This can be fixed, but it's not clear what you've done to the DMS so far.  It would also be helpful to know what model of radio you are using.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 02:03:26 pm »
Agreed, you say you ran the hack tool... but what bits of the hack tool did you run?
Did you only format PHTSYS or did you re-create partitions?  (if you didn't re-create partitions ... then DONT!)

What options did you choose on the UI if you used anything other than the hack mode?

Regardless, using the tools you should be able to use the DMS Repair (Full) option, selecting the correct version of firmware and choosing the correct options to put the DMS back to stock.  These options should be:

Install Non-hacked firmware should be checked
Reflash box should only be checked if you don't know what firmware was on there, or you want to upgrade to a newer version
Install AAC plugin should remain unchecked (just in case it doesn't work with non-hacked)

Load up PMM, stick a single playlist (delete anything already there), save and eject and then try the DMS in the PhatBox.
Don't forget, with the Reflash box option checked... there'll be a 15 minute or so delay before the box is usable while the firmware updates....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sspeed

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:40:04 pm »

Hi all you long suffering experts out there…
Firstly I formatted both partitions and then ran the "Repair DMS Full" part of the program..
I have a 2005 VW Golf mkV so I opted for the lates Golf fimware (7.02)..
I Selected install "None hacked firmware (i think)..

Some time later.......
I was driving along today when my music started to play on the Phatbox..
When I got home I connected the DMS to the computer and started the “DMS Phathack” tool.
It informed me that the patch was applied successfully..
I copied these Log files off the DMS whilst it was connected to the computer and pasted them below at the end of this post..
Hopefully it will mean something to you knowledgeable chaps out there..
In plain English is my Phatbox now hacked or not?

If it is and I get a new hard drive tomorrow, what Make/size etc would you say is best?

Lastly… I know the new drive has to be partitioned.. I have repartitioned hard drives on my PC successfully many times over the years so at least I have a good idea how its done.
I remember reading the small partition in a Phatbox has to be a certain size..
So my question is, What exact size do I make the first partition using Partition Magic ??
Once again, many thanks for you patience and expertise in these things,
Regards,
Simon

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9-X: Successful
BOOTB-X: Successful
BOOTF-X: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

PhatPatch v0.8 - original code by bushing, additional patches by sbingner
Finding patch offsets:
Verified standard patch offsets
Verifying:
Patch 1 @ 0bb8: make drive signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Expected: 0000 1a00    Actual: 0000 1a00
Verified!
Patch 2 @ 0bec: make rc.sh signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 3 @ 0c20: make phatd signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 4 @ 0c54: make linux signature check always succeed: [bne verify_sig_failed -> bne PC+1]
Verified!
Patch 5 @ 0354: make ramdisk invalid signature return 0 instead of 0xFFFFFFFF: [movlne r0, 0xFFFFFFFF -> movlne r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 13a0    Actual: 0000 13a0
Verified!
Patch 6 @ 0c80: make ramdisk signature check verify 0 instead of 1: [cmp r0, #1 -> cmp r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 e350    Actual: 0000 e350
Verified!
Patch 7 @ 0358: make ramdisk valid signature return 0 instead of 1: [moveq r0, #1 -> moveq r0, #0]
Expected: 0000 03a0    Actual: 0000 03a0
Verified!
Patch 8 @ 0330: don't try to read ramdisk.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 0000 eb00
Verified!
Patch 9 @ 02c0: don't try to read linux.sig (boot without any .sig files): [bl sector_read_suzy -> bl PC+1]
Expected: 0000 eb00    Actual: 0000 eb00
Verified!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:03:24 pm »
Odd, you seem to be hacked.  You must have run the hack wizard at some point.

The DMS tools can also be used to partition your new drive.  Just use the DMS Tools Mode and choose the option to create new DMS on the new drive.

I suggest going for a 160GB drive.  Make sure the drive is PATA and not SATA, 4200rpm or 5400rpm, not more.  I don't think any brand is more reliable than the other, but Seagate, WD, Samsung or Toshiba are good bets.

Offline sspeed

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:14:50 pm »
Thanks very much indeed to all concerned..
Tomorrow I will aquire a drive of the spec you suggested mark..
I shall keep you posted as to what happens next..

Oh the "FLAC" files certainly do sound better than the MP3 files (even at 320kbps !!)..
Its hard to put my finger on it but I would say they give a cleaner sound and sort of rounder..
MP3 can sound artificially hard on some tracks but very good on others..

Once again, I am most gratefull.
A Big thank you to VorTechS for developing a tool that works despite my best efforts at being thick !!

If all goes well and the new drive works as I hope it will, then I am definately OK for giving a donation to whoever its recommended I donate to.

Regards,

Simon