Author Topic: Can MP3 info be displayed on HU?  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Dave

Can MP3 info be displayed on HU?
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:48:19 pm »
Hi All,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I'm going over old ground, but I have a Stream MP3 HU in my Skoda which, until I connected my Phatbox using the VW software and interface cable (with much help from the guys at Briskoda), used to display the MP3 info.

Is there any way that this info, which I presume is still contained in the MP3 data in the Phatnoise cartridge, can be displayed on the HU?

I love my Phatbox, but finding a way to display this info would make it so much better!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Can MP3 info be displayed on HU?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:37:13 pm »
Only Kenwood and (I think) Sony head units can display track information (track title, artist, etc.).  With a VW Phatbox setup, you will have to use the TTS voices for announcing tracks, if you want, and for navigating through your MP3 library.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Dave

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:41:33 am »
My Stream MP3 HU displays all the info if I play a single CD, which is why I wondered if there was any way the Phatbox software and/or connections could be tweaked to do the same.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:24 am »
Yes, it should read the tags from a CD, but that's all internal.  Unfortunately, the VW Phatbox interface with the head unit just doesn't work the same way.

Maybe there is a way to hack the firmware to get it to do what you want, but I don't think anyone has ever tried.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:27:40 am »
...I think investigations on the firmware side are still sort of on-going.  Sbingner was doing a bit of research and I think found he could upload new firmware but at the expense of stability on the box (ie... disabling the flash protection stuff that stops you trashing the box).

He's away for a while now in .DE
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »
Okay, thanks both of you for taking the time to reply!