Author Topic: compact flash dms  (Read 5607 times)

Offline dsaffo1

compact flash dms
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:55:10 pm »
I am using a cf adapter in my DMS and a lot of thanks goes to this forum and also vortech for getting it to work.  Currently I am using a 2gb card (chuckle) and although I am limited as to the number of songs i can load on it, it works without a hitch.  Problem showed up when I tried a 16 gb card (less than $30.00 usd). Hack Tools created a dms on it, music manager recognizes it, but i get a no cd error when i try to load it into the phat box, and the green light just blinks in cycles.  I did have some issues with an interface to the pc, but like i said, got past that and I can repeat what I did.  Is there any interest in this?  I don't think a harddrive is the way to go, with heat and vibration, ssd is too expensive, and if it works I would be interested in an even larger cf at some time.
APOLOGIZE - I was trying to post as a new topic when i found this thread - im not so good with forums, maybe a good talking to would educate me how to do this?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:00:43 pm by dsaffo1 »

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: compact flash dms
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »
APOLOGIZE - I was trying to post as a new topic when i found this thread - im not so good with forums, maybe a good talking to would educate me how to do this?

No problem, I split this into a new topic for you. [Hey! My first act of moderation ever!]

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »
Problem showed up when I tried a 16 gb card (less than $30.00 usd). Hack Tools created a dms on it, music manager recognizes it, but i get a no cd error when i try to load it into the phat box, and the green light just blinks in cycles.  I did have some issues with an interface to the pc, but like i said, got past that and I can repeat what I did.  Is there any interest in this?  I don't think a harddrive is the way to go, with heat and vibration, ssd is too expensive, and if it works I would be interested in an even larger cf at some time.

Can you describe any pattern to the flashing of the green LED? That might help some of the resident gurus come up with suggestions.

I'm not really up-to-date on CF technology, but I know that the [physically] smaller SD cards changed their interface at some point - the larger-capacity ones are called "SD-HC" and older SD-only equipment only sees the first 4GB on the card. Perhaps something similar happens with CF?

Anyway, I think the largest-capacity CF card today is 64GB with a few larger cards announced but not yet generally available. The 250GB WD2500BEVE drive (the largest PATA notebook drive) price has fallen to $79.99. I've been running these in 3 different Phatbox systems (BMW, Toyota, and Kenwood) for over a year (back when the drive was $189.99) with no problems.

Offline dsaffo1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:10:55 pm »
Thanks!!! well, the red light comes on and the green light flashes slowly four or five times then starts flashing rapidly for about 15s before the red light goes out, then it starts all over again.  I can replace the 16gb card into the dms and count the slow flashes if this is important..... as far as the cf architecture goes, well I am sure you are right, however, my adapter sees and addresses more than the first 4 gb which i think was the first limitation of the older cards.  I have written data on most of the 16gb, and windows can read it back fine (even in the dms 2.0 cradle) btw, I am running under Vista.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:39:27 pm »
It's something to do with the PhatBox O/S and the SSD - I thought there was a topic covering this but I can't find it.  Sam had been working on looking at this a little while back .. and I'm sure he'll jump in and let us know how much further he didn't get ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 12:17:21 am »
I didn't get much farther, went to germany and haven't worked on it again.  For some reason the CF just doesn't respond the same as the regular IDE drive although all the specs seem the same.   I need to follow thru the protocol from the firmware and try to find where the problem is, or replace the firmware to make CF work.