Author Topic: Kenwood Music Keg 710 - DMS Fault - Any help appreciated !!  (Read 8267 times)

Offline c00lh4nd

Kenwood Music Keg 710 - DMS Fault - Any help appreciated !!
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:36:51 am »
Hi to all on the board I am a nubie and I am looking for some help. I have a Keg system that has been in my car for some years and lately has developed an error. I decided to refresh the DMS with a new set of music and Audbile.co.uk books. It took sometime, but I eventually got XP to recognise the DMS in the cradle (very intermittent) but now when I load anymore than 2% of the disk the system freezes with the only way out being to unplug the DMS. This invariably generates a bluescreen of death.  >:(

I there anything I can use to reformat the disk as I am guessing  ??? there are bad blocks or is it a case of trying to find a new 10Gb DMS?

Any help is greatfully received, I do high millages and my Keg helps with the journey

Many thanks

C00lh4nd

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Kenwood Music Keg 710 - DMS Fault - Any help appreciated !!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:12:34 pm »
You should be able to use my DMS tools to do a Repair (Full) which will re-format both the PHTSYS and PHTDTA partitions with bad block checks.  You'll need to re-load the correct version of firmware (check in PMM before running the tools to find out which you have)....and also ensure the options:

Install non-hacked firmware is checked (if your box is unhacked)
Reflash box is unchecked

Then drop back into PMM and re-load your data and see if things have improved.
If your box is unhacked, you should consider hacking it now...!

Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline c00lh4nd

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:13:29 pm »
Thanks VorTechS. I will give it a try now. Once fixed hacking will be the first thing I will do.

Just for clarity when you refer to your DMS tools I assume this is DMS Hack Tools v2.10?

Cheers

C00lh4nd

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:24:29 pm »
No, the latest version is 2.12 as per the following post: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1641.0.html
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline c00lh4nd

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:45:39 pm »
VorTechS

Thanks for the advice, alas it would seem the disk is AFU'd. I performed a couple of full repairs and the tool sets about formating the data partition but after about 5/6 mins there is a click from the DMS and the green light flashes permanently. About 60 secs after this the tool responds with "format failed".

Any further Ideas? Can I reduce the size of the partitions to 5Mb or is it a case of looking for a new DMS and hack the box.

Cheers

C00lh4nd

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »
Well at least you know for sure the disk is about to go.... 

You can resize the PHTDTA partition and od as you suggest - if only to apply a clean hack ... but you MUST NOT change the starting point of ANY of the partitions otherwise the PhatBox will refuse to boot it.  The first 1024 bytes MUST be preserved.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:04 am »
You shouldn't need to partition -- does a Quick format not work?

if you can quick format, just get it hacked with that drive asap and you'll be good.